New DMS Program at ATSU

I got my masters from ATSU and they emailed me today announcing a new DMS program...two tracks, Leadership and Education (not interested in either) and 2 years.

I think if you have a yearning burning to get a Doctorate, the Lynchburg program is still the shortest way.

ATSU APA alum get 20% off tuition...

I'm still holding out for more clinical classes or a strictly clinical DMS. But here's the link.

https://www.atsu.edu/doctor-of-medical-science

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I honestly don't get the push-back on this forum that people have for the LMU DMS program. Out of the available DMS programs (Lynchburg, ATSU, or the MCPHS program with the terrible name), it has the most robust clinically-oriented curriculum by far. Yes it is longer at 2 years, but it seems to be the only one so far that could actually add substantially to the clinical knowledge base of PAs; the others all seem to be focused on teaching or administration, which is kind of funny to me for a degree called "Doctorate of Medical Science".  

I understand the other programs may be preferable for later career PAs who have been working in their field for many years and are ready to move into administration/academia and simply need a doctorate for those purposes. For early career PAs who are still developing their skills and knowledge though, the LMU program seems to be the only one that actually takes the "medical science" aspect of the degree title seriously. 

One caveat to my statements is that Lynchburg's program is beginning to allow PA residencies/fellowships to fulfill part of the degree requirement, which I think is the best of both worlds, and may be the best model overall for a PA doctorate; however, it will likely be a minority of students utilizing this option for the foreseeable future until more residencies are approved and more are created. 

57 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the LMU program require significant on-campus time?

From the research I've done on the LMU program, the format is largely online like the other DMS programs are, and is designed so that you continue to work your normal job while you take classes.

It does, however, require two 1-week periods on campus during the 17 month curriculum for medical seminars and hands-on training in subjects like ultrasound and radiology. I believe this is similar to the on-campus requirements by some other doctorates like the DHSc from Nova Southeastern.  

I completely agree about the DScPAS though -- not only does the curriculum seem weaker than the other options, the name is just terrible and shows a complete lack of foresight by those who created the program. 

I honestly don't get the push-back on this forum that people have for the LMU DMS program. Out of the available DMS programs (Lynchburg, ATSU, or the MCPHS program with the terrible name), it has the most robust clinically-oriented curriculum by far. Yes it is longer at 2 years, but it seems to be the only one so far that could actually add substantially to the clinical knowledge base of PAs; the others all seem to be focused on teaching or administration, which is kind of funny to me for a degree called "Doctorate of Medical Science".   I understand the other programs may be preferable for later career PAs who have been working in their field for many years and are ready to move into administration/academia and simply need a doctorate for those purposes. For early career PAs who are still developing their skills and knowledge though, the LMU program seems to be the only one that actually takes the "medical science" aspect of the degree title seriously. 

One caveat to my statements is that Lynchburg's program is beginning to allow PA residencies/fellowships to fulfill part of the degree requirement, which I think is the best of both worlds, and may be the best model overall for a PA doctorate; however, it will likely be a minority of students utilizing this option for the foreseeable future until more residencies are approved and more are created. 

I agree. I think the LMU (Lincoln) is the most Clinically focused. I would still consider that one. The Lynchburg and now the ATSU one look more like a DHSc with a new name. Not that there is anything wrong with that if that is what you are looking for. I am looking for expanding clinical/medical knowledge if I am going to commit 2 more years to medical education. I have said before that the Lynchburg DMS and its ilk should really be called "Doctorate of Medical Administration"  

I think the push back here was some people felt that it was a money grab (which can be said for other PA doctorates amirite?) but I actually appreciated their push to make the new DMS provider which of course got shot down...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Almost wouldn't be surprised if the Lincoln Memorial DMS provider resurfaces... eventually.. Their program does provide much better clinical education than other potential doctorates.  Some of the info I've read and heard from MD/DO appeared they could potentially approve or accept the program suggesting it would be a much better option for primary care compared to providers given practice rights in many states.  Not that they felt DMS would be on equal standing as MD/DO, just much better than providers that are not as regulated, require a lot less total education and clinical experience(although more political power).  

8 hours ago, ProSpectre said:

I think the best way to learn medicine is hand-on experience, such as a residency. To me, the LMU program just making me read more about neurology, cardiology, endocrinology etc. I am sure it helps with my knowledge, but I could've done that in a CME course. I prefer the Lynchburg program which accepts PA residency credits. Of course, we are not in a perfect world, there are not enough residencies for every PA students out there currently, but I think a PA residency + DMsc is the best combination to advance the profession. 

Archived