New Assistant Physician Licensure Program Raises Concerns

just adds more fuel to the fire regarding our needing to change our name!!!  "Assistant physician" vs "Physician Assistant" that is just confusing and stupid - but while it is frustrating to see several of the comments question our education/abilities, I am thrilled to see individuals who are not PAs defending our abilities.

I actually don't think it's a bad idea. These people are legit MDs - they just aren't residency-trained. Neither are most of us!

I don't know if it's true or not, but one of the commenters said that 17,000 physicians failed to match last year because med school growth has outpaced residency growth. That's crazy. I think it makes sense to put 'em to work in a midlevel-type role, although I do hope they get to match eventually. In the Navy we call them "GMOs" (General Medical Officers) and they usually do an operational tour (ship, squadron, Marine battalion) before going back and finishing residency. But I think they usually do the internship year after med school and before their GMO tour, which is now rolled in to most residencies, I think.

8 hours ago, HMtoPA said:

I actually don't think it's a bad idea. These people are legit MDs - they just aren't residency-trained. Neither are most of us!

I don't know if it's true or not, but one of the commenters said that 17,000 physicians failed to match last year because med school growth has outpaced residency growth. That's crazy. I think it makes sense to put 'em to work in a midlevel-type role, although I do hope they get to match eventually. In the Navy we call them "GMOs" (General Medical Officers) and they usually do an operational tour (ship, squadron, Marine battalion) before going back and finishing residency. But I think they usually do the internship year after med school and before their GMO tour, which is now rolled in to most residencies, I think.

No, there are way more residency spots than US medical graduates.  It’s true that foreign grads don’t match at a high rate.  And as mentioned in the article, a large percentage of these guys are foreign grads. 

10 hours ago, HMtoPA said:

but one of the commenters said that 17,000 physicians failed to match last year because med school growth has outpaced residency growth.

I didn't see the comment, but I don't believe that number to be true.  How many medical school graduates are there per year?

According to the link below there were 19, 254 medical school graduates in the USA for the year 2017.  So, 88.3% of them didn't match!?!?!?!  Maybe the website is wrong, but even still I don't think that number is true.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/total-medical-school-graduates/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}

There are ~30,000 allopathic residency spots per year, with less than 20,000 graduates.  The overall number of US grads who end up in a residency is likely ~99%.  Though some of those may have to scramble.  The people who are feeling the squeeze are the graduates of foreign medical schools.

Archived