PA's performing cardioversions

• 4 years later...

I imagine your looking for cardiology PAs who have gone through this process in a facility with much more red tape, but I will fill in. 

I do symptomatic but stable a-fib/flutter and SVT cardioversions, who meet criteria, with me also performing the sedation all the time in the ED solo (single coverage ED). We do it the Canadian way at my shop 🙂, meaning we are not nearly as averse to using electricity compared to most US EDs. No phone call or anything required. Of course do unstable as well.

When I started this job I wrote it on my list of requested credentials and they gave it to me as I performed them in residency. However I do it way more than in residency as they more often prefer rate control, even if cardioversion was an option.

really it’s pretty safe and simple, especially if they have been anticoagulated for 3 weeks and have a negative echo, as cardiology likes to do. I don’t see any reason you shouldn’t do it. The conscious sedation is much more dangerous, but I imagine you would have anesthesia performing this?

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 6:24 PM, rev ronin said:

I got to push the button on one in my Cardiology elective rotation. 🙂 Seemed like a heck of a lot more to it than doing it in ACLS training, which I'd probably done a dozen or more times before I got to zap a real human. It worked, BTW--she converted.

Nice! I got to push the button as a CT PA standing next to the CT surgeon. Lol