GetMeOuttaThisMess

Anyone around 60 y/o care to share personal health ins. premiums?

Dotting i's and crossing t's for my exit in 2020 and I'll have to provide health insurance for my wife and myself until I qualify for Medicare in '24 and her in '26 (as well as MC supplemental insurance).  I'd like to stay with a HSA for each of us since, knock on wood, neither of us suffers from a high risk medical condition at present and we should have enough income left over to cover any catastrophic illness.  We already have LT care insurance.  I'm trying to get a cost estimate for my budget for those 4-6 years.  Anything that I find online asks for personal contact information which I don't need to be providing since I'm not in need of same at the present time.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

It depends on the state. My spouse(male and age 54) purchased insurance on the exchange this year and the least expensive plan was an HMO with a $7500 deductible for $510 per month.

• Like 1

Depends on the state...big time, also on your income.  Our cut off for subsidies was $74k for me, wife and son. Me 49, wife 51, son 15.  With subsidies we paid $700/month.  $15,000 family deductible, $7800 individual HMO.  Or as we referred to it, a steaming pile of horseshit.  Without subsidies it would of been $2100/month.......

Is it any wonder Texas is the most uninsured state in the union?

• Like 1

This is why I do not have health insurance. We have a cost sharing insurance, works great, paid for 2 babies and a major surgery on our 10 month old. Forget commercial insurance, $7,500 deductible for $510 per month....whats the point of even having insurance...pissing your money away. Maybe try one of those direct patient care clinics...just a thought.   

My wife constantly laments the fact that we have been taking care of people for over 20 years and yet our own healthcare insurance is our biggest concern and expense.  Ironic.

I'm around 60 but don't see me retiring or semi retiring until I'm Medicare ready.

I’d like to be able to say the same but the psychological trauma that the clientele have accumulatively inflicted upon me throughout my life necessitates my getting out sooner. Unlike in The House if God with “Roodle, roodle, roodle”, I’m now chanting “abx, abx,abx” on my off days. I hope that isn’t a “pre-existing condition” disqualifier for health insurance . I need to get started on the beachfront shaved ice stand on Maui for myself, EMEDPA, and Skyblu.
  • Like 2

We debated whether to get insurance for my spouse or take a chance without it but  in the end caved in and purchased it. We figured we can cancel anytime we want to but only have a certain window to enroll. I had open enrollment last month and my employer only pays for 80% of my portion and nothing for dependents. The price was going up astronomically for BCBS PPO. I was paying $665 every two weeks for my family of four with a $2650 /6600 deductible(which is still an outrageous price!) and it was going up $1150 every two weeks for a $1250/2500  deductible and $575  every two weeks for a $7500/15000 deductible. We told our children 20 and 22 that they are now on their own for health insurance. I’m paying $97 monthly for a $7500 deductible. I looked into the cost sharing but it was not that much cheaper and still had almost the same out of pocket. We have a serious problem with affordable health care in this country and it has only become worse since the implementation of Obamacare!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PAC94 said:

We debated whether to get insurance for my spouse or take a chance without it but  in the end caved in and purchased it. We figured we can cancel anytime we want to but only have a certain window to enroll. I had open enrollment last month and my employer only pays for 80% of my portion and nothing for dependents. The price was going up astronomically for BCBS PPO. I was paying $665 every two weeks for my family of four with a $2650 /6600 deductible(which is still an outrageous price!) and it was going up $1150 every two weeks for a $1250/2500  deductible and $575  every two weeks for a $7500/15000 deductible. We told our children 20 and 22 that they are now on their own for health insurance. I’m paying $97 monthly for a $7500 deductible. I looked into the cost sharing but it was not that much cheaper and still had almost the same out of pocket. We have a serious problem with affordable health care in this country and it has only become worse since the implementation of Obamacare!

Not for sure if you looked at the correct ones...Here is an example I typed in for a 50 yr old man and a 48 yr old lady with 2 kiddos. Samaritan Ministries for the basic plan is $350 for anything over $1,500 and a 90%/10% split with max shareable of $236,500. Their classic plan is $495 per month for anything over $300 with 100% split with a max shareable of $250,000. They do not cover anything under the $1,500 or $300 limit (i.e. if you get a ultrasound and you have the cheaper plan, $1,500, and the u/s cost $600 then you have to pay that u/s, if it is over the limit then they pay 90% of it). 

Medishare: They go by the oldest in the house hold and I put 45 yr old with the max of 3 or more members (if you have 4 kiddos, you and your wife plus 1 kid is all your paying for, all the other kiddos are free). For a deductible of $1,750 it is $792 for the healthy discount (you have good blood pressure, good BMI, and non-smoker) or for the regular rate it would be $935 per month. This is still cheaper then ANY of your plans.   

^^^  Let's be very clear.  What you are talking about here is not insurance.  There is not a guarantee of payment and no pre-exsisting conditions protections.  In fact in the NW they are being sued for false advertising.  I would STRONGLY recommend that anyone considering a "cost sharing" plan does a lot of research including the current lawsuits against them for non-payment.

"Numerous health sharing organizations are based on Christian values, meaning their members must follow specific codes of conduct to remain part of the ministry. The rules of the code include regular church attendance, making a profession of faith and refraining from drunkenness, tobacco usage and sex outside marriage. When members need medical assistance because they disobeyed these rules, the plans do not cover the cost.

In some organizations, members can even vote on whether they think other members' medical care should be covered."

Edited by Cideous

The good news is that my retirement budget numbers (same as present day but excluding employment associated costs such as my personal disability policy that I recently cancelled, Roth IRA deposits, 457b deposits, etc.) should allow for high deductible, HSA policy premiums.  If push comes to shove, "Hello, and welcome to Costco!"  Speaking of which, also offers health insurance options through a third party.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

10 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

The good news is that my retirement budget numbers (same as present day but excluding employment associated costs such as my personal disability policy that I recently cancelled, Roth IRA deposits, 457b deposits, etc.) should allow for high deductible, HSA policy premiums.  If push comes to shove, "Hello, and welcome to Costco!"  Speaking of which, also offers health insurance options through a third party.

^^^  Awesome!    The running joke in my family is me working at Walmart as a greeter.  "Hi, welcome to Walmart...get your shit and get out!"      

LOL