job interview

New Grad here!  when someone says " What are you looking for in a job" what really needs to be incorporated? I know everyone is unique and theres no right answer...and so on. But I'm an excited, flexible, new grad just looking for a team that I will enjoy. I feel like everytime I am asked I tend to ramble. Any advice? muchos gracias! 

I work in FM and enjoy it: what I look for - and looked for in the job I recently accepted and will start in a few months

• what is the supervision/collaboration style of physician - I am not looking to be micromanaged, but do feel it important to have someone available to ask for input when necessary.  I don't know everything, but after 2 years I am good at what I do.  Starting off I did want/need some more support, but at this point it is pretty rare that I ask questions...generally only weird stuff or just for their input on how they would approach a situation rather than a true "medical question."
  • Controlled substances - in my current job (the one I'm leaving) approximately 1/4 - 1/3 of my patient visits are controlled substance refills or at minimum controlled substance patients coming in for something else.  100% of these patients were inherited from others and it is a nightmare.  My new job does minimal pain management.
  • Work-Life Balance/Schedule Flexibility: I work 4 days per week and it is wonderful.  I hate 5 days.  It was very important that the clinic be flexible in that I could work four 9 hour days rather than five 8's.  Also within this is the number of patient's scheduled per day.
  • Support: if a patient complains what is the response?  Is the expectation that 100% of all patients will leave completely happy?
  • Salary, PTO, benefits all obvious

That's the majority, if I think of others I'll let you know.

2 hours ago, pa-to-be said:

... I'm an excited, flexible, new grad just looking for a team that I will enjoy. 

Not much wrong with the above.  I think most of the time, they aren't looking for what you say, they are looking for how you say it, personality, making eye contact.  Just walk in, smile, firm handshake, appear confident but not cocky, make them feel at ease...because that's how you are going to treat their patients.

• Administrator

1) Teaching/direct supervision.  I worked first at Group Health, now Kaiser Northwest.  While parts of the corporate culture sucked, the availability of MDs who wanted to see me succeed was awesome!  I strongly recommend you try and get a position like that, where you will be seeing patients in the same place, at the same time, as multiple other MDs as panel support.  (I recommend FM first for all PA graduates, so if that's not your idea of a career starter, then you can disregard)

2) Hourly pay.  It doesn't have to be great, but if you are salaried, there is no incentive for your employer to help you e.g. chart faster.

3) Corporate culture.  It really does matter.

Archived