Hello all, 

I’m a new grad as of August. I turned down a fellowship due to a last minute contract change of an added time comittment in an area I did not want to stay in. With that, I started looking in the area I want to live, but now I feel behind in the job search and beginning to feel very pressured. I’m in an area with high COL and low job availability for new grads.

I was recently offered a full-time ER position as a 1099. Malpractice with tail coverage only. There is also a productivity incentive (current PA said they average an extra $1500-2k per month). I have been offered $65/hour. Average 2 patients/hour, 12 hour shifts (no overnights). 

I have read so many negative things about ICs especially as a new grad, but the other 3PAs have been there for >5years and began as new grads too. I know this will be good ER experience, but I’m concerned about the lack of benefits. 

Please, any advice is welcomed! Counter suggestions?? Run for the hills??

thank you!

Have you tried negotiating? 

If it's 12 hour shifts, I assume you'll be working 12 shifts/month on average which comes out to $112k + your monthly bonus = $130k. As a 1099, I think the rule was subtract about 30% from your gross to accommodate for the extra tax and lack of benefits. If you're young and hungry, one extra shift per month will bring in $9,360 extra. 

Might be worth a shot. I would negotiate though. 

remember 1099 means you pay 15% social security instead of 7.5%. you also pay 100% of your professional dues, licenses, cme, disability, retirement, health care/dental/vision, etc. You can write most of this stuff off plus mileage, but a write off only saves you 28% or so. I took a 10/hr raise to go from w2 to 1099. I think I got the short end of that deal. I would take a $10/hr pay cut to be benefited and w2 again given the chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived