Urgent Care New Grad Offer

I am currently still in my clinical year--I have 2 rotations still left to complete. This is the second job offer I've received. My first offer was from a local ED, which I declined because 1. It was my first offer, and from this forum I've learned that you probably shouldn't just jump on the first offer that you see 2. Before PA school, I worked as an ED tech working the 1400-0230 shift--and back then it was just my wife and I, and since then we've added 2 little girls to our family--and I just don't think I want to take on the ED hours, stress, etc 3. I ran my offer by a few different PAs that I know (PA school faculty and practicing PAs), and they were less than impressed with the offer ($115k starting, but didn't increase yearly as much as it probably should have; PTO was minimal; etc.) 4. In hindsight, I think I made the right decision.

12 hour shifts, 14 total shifts per month.

This position is an urgent care where I'll be "training" with an MD or experienced APP for 60 days at a monthly pay of $6834 (would be salary of $82k--$40.67/hr). After this time, I'll move to my regular pay of $59.52/hr, $119,992/year.

3 tier PA job ladder--starting at PA1 (years 0-3), then move to PA2 (years 4-7), then senior PA (years 8+). They haven't said what the pay scales will be yet for PA2, senior PA. I told them I will not be signing until I know what that scale looks like with exact figures. They agreed that they would have that information before I sign.

License reimbursement of $1170

$1500/year CME

UpToDate annual subscription--approx. $500

Benefits eligible 1st of the month following 60 days of employment--Is this normal??

Non-compete clause--they haven't stated the exact details. I will get this information before I sign.

401K plan--have to wait 1 year to receive a match, but after that year I am 100% vested. After 1 year of employment they will match 100% up to 4%, then 50% of the next 3%.

PTO accrual: 2 weeks in the first year, then increases incrementally yearly after that. They haven't stated exactly what it will incrementally increase to yet though. Again, will not sign until these numbers are firm and included in the offer.

Thoughts?? Initially, I asked for $64/hr, which breaks down to $129, 024/year. I am thinking I want to counter with $61/hr--only a difference of $2984 over the course of a year (extra $248/month--that's a good chunk of our childcare).

In any case, let me know honest thoughts. Anything that stands out as concerning? Thanks Forum! I've been reading other's post their contract offers, and have been waiting for my opportunity to post!

Have you applied to other jobs?  Honestly this one has quite a few question marks.

60 days of training for a new grad usually is just not enough.  Period.

That's a long time be without benefits - mine was 1st of the month after hire (so it varies by start date but never more than 1 month until they kick in).  I've seen 1st of the month after 30 days.  They essentially are holding you up while training to make sure they don't waste their time.  Try and negotiate this but if it's a corporate policy you may be out of luck.

401k is less than idea not matching until 1 year, but you know that.

PTO isn't great but I've seen worse.

Honestly, you have 2 rotations left.  This offer does not hit it out of the park, so to speak.  Without knowing details of the ED job, this one doesn't really sound much better.  I'd keep looking, personally.

(As an aside, there's nothing wrong with accepting a first offer if it's a good one)

I agree there are question marks, but depending on location doesn't sound like a bad offer overall.

The wait on health insurance is unfortunately becoming more and more of a reality, not sure why though.  I am currently looking to change jobs and only one out of several offered health insurance on day one of working.  The job I have tentatively accepted requires a 60 day wait, but they are going to cover COBRA payments for my family until their health insurance kicks in.  Unfortunately this may not be an option for you as a student, don't know.

The 401k is also VERY standard.  In fact, most positions don't even allow you to partake in the 401k for your first year, and the fact that 100% is vested is excellent and the match of essentially 5.5% is FAR above average.

The PTO is low, but at the same time that is very standard for UC, and in fact there is a lot of discussion that with the "nice" schedule of UC/ED jobs many are not offering any PTO.

As for the 60 day training period, I agree this is a bit short, but you will (or at least should) learn quickly...you have the foundation from PA school.  The question is whether you are 100% on your own after those 60 days or is there someone (doc or another PA/NP with experience) when you do need help?

Archived