PA school vs Accelerated Nursing Degree

Hi All, I need some advice. I’m currently in my last year of undergrad with hopes of applying to a PA school. The only thing is, I don’t feel like my application is sufficient enough due to the required hours. I only have the bare minimum of hours because I am only able to work part time while being a full time student. With that, I am afraid I will be wasting time trying to get as many hours as I can after I graduate undergrad. Becoming an NP is my back up plan if I don’t get into PA school. Would you recommend that it’s a good idea to apply to an accelerated nursing program like DePaul’s MENP or Rush, and a few PA schools? I would want to apply to both just so that I can get started on a career in case I get turned down for PA school. Thanks!

First off welcome! 

Meeting the bare minimum isn't competitive and it's good that you realize this. However, do not disqualify yourself so prematurely. What are your grades like? What are your patient care experience hours and responsibilities? You may be one of the lucky ones to gain admission into PA school with the bare minimum. That said, be realistic should you apply anyways. You miss 100% of the shots you do not take.

Now, regarding your inquiry about direct entry MSN for non-nurses. An MENP does not grant you the privilege to practice as a Nurse Practitioner, it grants you the privilege to practice as a masters level Registered Nurse. If you decide to do the MENP, you will have to do post-grad master/certificate in a specific specialty to practice as an NP. In hindsight, this is a lot more expensive and sometimes take longer than say....an accelerated BSN --> Masters/DNP NP. 

Make sure this is a path you really want to go down because although it looks like a good backup plan, it's a lot of work, especially if you don't see yourself working as an RN. I took this path and I'm quite content with my decision. But make sure you research it to death before you jump ship.

PS. Please post in the Pre-PA section regarding pre-pa questions

• 2 months later...
On 10/13/2018 at 12:33 AM, Diggy said:

First off welcome! 

Meeting the bare minimum isn't competitive and it's good that you realize this. However, do not disqualify yourself so prematurely. What are your grades like? What are your patient care experience hours and responsibilities? You may be one of the lucky ones to gain admission into PA school with the bare minimum. That said, be realistic should you apply anyways. You miss 100% of the shots you do not take.

Now, regarding your inquiry about direct entry MSN for non-nurses. An MENP does not grant you the privilege to practice as a Nurse Practitioner, it grants you the privilege to practice as a masters level Registered Nurse. If you decide to do the MENP, you will have to do post-grad master/certificate in a specific specialty to practice as an NP. In hindsight, this is a lot more expensive and sometimes take longer than say....an accelerated BSN --> Masters/DNP NP. 

Make sure this is a path you really want to go down because although it looks like a good backup plan, it's a lot of work, especially if you don't see yourself working as an RN. I took this path and I'm quite content with my decision. But make sure you research it to death before you jump ship.

PS. Please post in the Pre-PA section regarding pre-pa questions

I would like some more insight regarding this. My grades are meh. I could share in a message if you'd like but I'm really starting to weigh heavily the RN option and later down the line becoming an NP. 

If you’d like more insight, definitely do not post this kind of question on the nurses forum, for they will give you so much lash back and not any advice when mentioning that NP is a “back up” plan! Happened to me and it was very unhelpful. 

I decided that if I am passionate about becoming a PA then it will show, and I will put my best in it. My grades aren’t my strong suit. I have nearly a 3.4 overall GPA, so with that I think it’s a better idea to try to better other areas of the application. 

6 hours ago, gonz21 said:

If you’d like more insight, definitely do not post this kind of question on the nurses forum, for they will give you so much lash back and not any advice when mentioning that NP is a “back up” plan!

Haha, I would think that this would be a given.  Imagine coming here and saying the reverse.  Know your audience.  Haha.

54 minutes ago, Kaepora said:

Haha, I would think that this would be a given.  Imagine coming here and saying the reverse.  Know your audience.  Haha.

I was just about to say this lol. It would be the same on this forum, just take a look at those who decided to do PA as a back up to MD/DO. Nobody likes being thought of "second best" or "first place loser" *in general*.

22 hours ago, TheLastStone said:

I would like some more insight regarding this. My grades are meh. I could share in a message if you'd like but I'm really starting to weigh heavily the RN option and later down the line becoming an NP. 

Feel free to private message me. I welcome all questions.

I should also add, I did an ABSN program.  At the time I thought I wanted to do CRNA (until I worked as a RN with CRNAs... boooooring).  Working as a RN will give you valuable experience and insight into health care professions.  I always recommend pursuing a BSN (or paramedic or RT - other "health care" jobs such as CNA, scribe, etc are low yield IMO) prior to deciding on a "provider level" career.  I tend to think being an RN is the best as the knowledge and experience gained is highly applicable to any career path, plus, you have the option of pursuing any career path - MD/DO, PA, NP, CRNA, CNM, etc.  No other option (i.e. paramedic, RT) will afford you these choices.  

32 minutes ago, Kaepora said:

I should also add, I did an ABSN program.  At the time I thought I wanted to do CRNA (until I worked as a RN with CRNAs... boooooring). 

I feel the same way about anesthesia. I briefly considered the AA bridge for PAs. I work with some rural CRNAs who do a lot more than operative anesthesia. I think I would still be bored to tears, except during the 1% of the time patients were crashing or had unstable airways, etc. 

remember the ABCs of anesthesia: airway, book, chair. 

3 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I feel the same way about anesthesia. I briefly considered the AA bridge for PAs. I work with some rural CRNAs who do a lot more than operative anesthesia. I think I would still be bored to tears, except during the 1% of the time patients were crashing or had unstable airways, etc. 

remember the ABCs of anesthesia: airway, book, chair. 

Honestly, the salary is the only reason I considered it for so long.  In my neck of the woods NP/PAs are paid sh*t, so the difference between CRNA and NP is that much more exaggerated.  

But, I was tired of being a nurse, and, honestly, CRNA is just nursing 2.0.  And again, in my area, anesthesiologists are present on induction and emergence and they do all invasive procedures and lines.  I have way more autonomy and use my brain much more as a NP, really in almost any specialty, than the CRNAs.  But don't ever say that to them... haha.

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

NP/CRNA is a great combo though. I have a friend who was an ICU nurse, became an NP and worked in the ER for years, started hating pts, and became a CRNA. 15 years ago he was making 180k and covering OR/ICU/Pain clinic. 

This path has crossed my mind a couple of times... I would have to move to a different area though, as I don't see how I could make this combo work in the medical environment in my area.  Like I said, CRNAs are really tightly controlled here.  Plus, I like my current specialty and role as a NP.  I am well respected and trusted by my colleagues, APP and physician alike.  My salary is decent (for the area) and I enjoy quite a lot of autonomy.  I think this is end game.  

Archived