Sign in to follow this  
Cup

New Grad Oncology in High COL Area

This is an 100% outpatient practice. They have multiple locations but I'll be working between two clinics in a  major city with high COL. I interviewed with the director of Human Resources and I'm scheduled tomorrow for a tour of one of the clinics that I'll be assigned to.
  • 40 hours per week, Mon-Friday (No weekends, no on-call)
  • $100,000 salary
  • Medical, Dental & Vision
  • 401K*
  • 6 Holidays
  • 5 sick days with accrual to up to 2 weeks the first 2 years
  • Reimbursement for DEA & State License renewal fees, not initial
  • Malpractice*
  • 3 CME days annually
  • $500 CME annually
  • 6 month training period; there will always be 2-3 doctors/NPs/PAs on-site.
  • 18-20 patients per day (They assign 15 minute blocks for Follow Ups and 45 minutes blocks for New Consults)
*I'm not sure whether malpractice includes tail coverage and whether 401k includes matching, but I'll be getting the official contract by the end of this week
A couple concerns:
  • Lower than average salary for my location. I'm thinking of countering with 105k. Average starting salary in my area is 110k but to be honest this is the best offer I've received. I know a few classmates who accepted an equivalent ~110k salary with small physician-owned practices but were lacking on benefits (e.g. no Medical/Dental/Vision, no 401k)
  • As detailed in another post, I'm not sure if oncology is the specialty I want to stay in (although I want to stay in the general internal medicine field). However this is the best best offer I've received after looking for the past 2-3 months. I know that's not a relatively long time for a job hunt and I am okay with searching a bit longer for a better offer in a more generalized field; I'm just not sure if it will come at this point. 
Any thoughts appreciated. 
Edited by Cup

That's a very high patient load - make sure you aren't expected to do that after your 6 month training period.  Where I'm located even the physicians don't see that many per day.  Especially considering the steep learning curve (ALL of oncology means you'll have a lot to get the hang of)...just make sure expectations are realistic.

You also don't mention PTO.

CME $$$ is ridiculous.  I rage in the night at the $1500 we get at my current position. 

Any PTO other than sick days?

I understand from your posts that jobs are difficult to come by, but $100k is a high COL region is pretty untenable in my opinion.  I'm up in the PNW and we have new grads starting off as hospitalists at ~$125k, 6wks PTO (I think) and other benefits that are much better than that which you are describing in a moderate COL area. 

Just a thought, seems like this is a less than ideal offer in a specialty you don't really have interest in staying in.  Consider relocation?

33 minutes ago, MediMike said:

CME $$$ is ridiculous.  I rage in the night at the $1500 we get at my current position. 

Any PTO other than sick days?

I understand from your posts that jobs are difficult to come by, but $100k is a high COL region is pretty untenable in my opinion.  I'm up in the PNW and we have new grads starting off as hospitalists at ~$125k, 6wks PTO (I think) and other benefits that are much better than that which you are describing in a moderate COL area. 

Just a thought, seems like this is a less than ideal offer in a specialty you don't really have interest in staying in.  Consider relocation?

I live in the PNW. The only folks I know getting 6 weeks PTO are KP employees after several years. I have not gotten that kind of PTO offer in years(since I left KP). My last 2 jobs were 2 weeks. $500 for cme IS ridiculous. a single conference that you have to fly to generally runs around 2 k with airfare, hotel, rental car,, food, etc. My last job did $1750 and that was a joke.  Of course now as a 1099 I get no bennies aside from malpractice, so I have to pay for everything, but can deduct the expenses. Still, most of my cme is now driving distance away.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By CLB2018
      Hello all, 
      I’m a new grad as of August. I turned down a fellowship due to a last minute contract change of an added time comittment in an area I did not want to stay in. With that, I started looking in the area I want to live, but now I feel behind in the job search and beginning to feel very pressured. I’m in an area with high COL and low job availability for new grads.
      I was recently offered a full-time ER position as a 1099. Malpractice with tail coverage only. There is also a productivity incentive (current PA said they average an extra $1500-2k per month). I have been offered $65/hour. Average 2 patients/hour, 12 hour shifts (no overnights). 
      I have read so many negative things about ICs especially as a new grad, but the other 3PAs have been there for >5years and began as new grads too. I know this will be good ER experience, but I’m concerned about the lack of benefits. 
      Please, any advice is welcomed! Counter suggestions?? Run for the hills??
      thank you!
    • By heisman1979
      I am currently still in my clinical year--I have 2 rotations still left to complete. This is the second job offer I've received. My first offer was from a local ED, which I declined because 1. It was my first offer, and from this forum I've learned that you probably shouldn't just jump on the first offer that you see 2. Before PA school, I worked as an ED tech working the 1400-0230 shift--and back then it was just my wife and I, and since then we've added 2 little girls to our family--and I just don't think I want to take on the ED hours, stress, etc 3. I ran my offer by a few different PAs that I know (PA school faculty and practicing PAs), and they were less than impressed with the offer ($115k starting, but didn't increase yearly as much as it probably should have; PTO was minimal; etc.) 4. In hindsight, I think I made the right decision.
      12 hour shifts, 14 total shifts per month.
      This position is an urgent care where I'll be "training" with an MD or experienced APP for 60 days at a monthly pay of $6834 (would be salary of $82k--$40.67/hr). After this time, I'll move to my regular pay of $59.52/hr, $119,992/year.
      3 tier PA job ladder--starting at PA1 (years 0-3), then move to PA2 (years 4-7), then senior PA (years 8+). They haven't said what the pay scales will be yet for PA2, senior PA. I told them I will not be signing until I know what that scale looks like with exact figures. They agreed that they would have that information before I sign.
      License reimbursement of $1170
      $1500/year CME
      UpToDate annual subscription--approx. $500
      Benefits eligible 1st of the month following 60 days of employment--Is this normal??
      Non-compete clause--they haven't stated the exact details. I will get this information before I sign.
      401K plan--have to wait 1 year to receive a match, but after that year I am 100% vested. After 1 year of employment they will match 100% up to 4%, then 50% of the next 3%.
      PTO accrual: 2 weeks in the first year, then increases incrementally yearly after that. They haven't stated exactly what it will incrementally increase to yet though. Again, will not sign until these numbers are firm and included in the offer.

Thoughts?? Initially, I asked for $64/hr, which breaks down to $129, 024/year. I am thinking I want to counter with $61/hr--only a difference of $2984 over the course of a year (extra $248/month--that's a good chunk of our childcare).

In any case, let me know honest thoughts. Anything that stands out as concerning? Thanks Forum! I've been reading other's post their contract offers, and have been waiting for my opportunity to post!

• By knwandrick
      Hello! I'm a new grad and recently received a job offer and contract. I wanted to see what other PAs thought and things I should negotiate since this is my first experience with this.
      Position is with a spine surgery practice in Texas:
      - Salary $90K with yearly bonus "at discretion of CEO." This seems a little low, but hard to negotiate as I have no experience.
      - 2 weeks paid vacation - In my interview they also stated that major holidays were off as well. Need to clarify if these would be paid or not. Is this reasonable time off or too little?
      - 5 days sick leave with doctor's note
      - CME allowance of $2500. They stated in interview that I also would have 5 days for CME, so I need to clarify this with my contract and whether they are paid or not and have this included in writing.
      - Malpractice insurance is provided "consistent with reasonable surgical physician assistant coverage." Obviously need to clarify whether occurrence or claims maid. And tail or not.
      - Individual health insurance covered by employer. Family health insurance covered by employee. I only need coverage for myself, so this sounded like a good deal to me.
      Other than above, I also wanted feedback on my hours. My schedule is described as up to 5 days a week but then later says that 5 days is routine and more days as agreed by PA and physician as needed. Hours may or may not extend past 10 hours per day with workload not to exceed 80 hours a week. There is no mention of call but when discussed they said I should "rarely" be on call. Obviously I'm not trying to get tricked into working 80 hours a week when the job was described as a M-F position. What is the best way to ask that this is clarified and protect myself from being exploited?
      Appreciate all of your feedback! Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More