Are my efforts futile?

My first post on the forum. I am a psychology graduate and am currently aiming towards PA school. My first two semesters at community college were a disaster, i had no direction, life happened, blah blah I'm sure its been said before. I just applied for the first time this cycle. My GPA's are as follows, cumulative: 3.29. science: 3.16. My GRE was subpar at 298, my math needs revision. I have approximately 1500+ hours as a CNA in memory care. I still need to take chem 2 and a real biochem class (not intro level) so i can be eligible for more programs. 

Are my stats irreparable and is my situation hopeless or should i continue this journey? I've seen others get in with similar if not worse stats, just sometimes I feel pretty hopeless. I would greatly appreciate any advice as to what I can do to strengthen my application for future attempts. Also my undergraduate GPA at my bachelors university was a 3.8 and my prerequisite GPA so far is a 4.0. My last 60 hours is probably above 3.5. I am 27 years of age. 

Also if anyone knows of programs that tend to accept introductory level biochemistry, please let me know!! 

I would not say that your efforts are futile. I think you are on the right track and provided you are above 3.0 you are above the minimum for most schools.

I think you should keep working on your PCE hours, and make sure that any classes you take from here on out are an B+ at the very least (A's would be better). Your recent stats are good, and you could look at schools that calculate you last 60 GPA as your admission GPA.

As fas as biochem goes that is going to vary by school, best advice is to contact the schools you are looking at directly and ask them. I do know that any biochem class that is a "survey" type class is generally not accepted. It is a bit strange to have an intro to biochem class though as biochem is almost always an upper level science class 300 or 400 level.

Take time to go through this forum and search the success stories of similar applicants as yourself. There is even a thread that's been pinned for schools that approach holistically and GPA is but one of the factors. 

I do recommend consider retaking the GRE if possible and to make sure you get above 300. Many schools are moving away from that requirement so its up to you. 

Bottom line it is only futile if you give up after the 1st and only try if this is what you truly want to be. 

This is a commonly talked topic with many great advices already been said many times over. Take time and research them. Then if you have any specific questions ask away.

Archived