Questions regarding NEU and their requirements...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I figured this might be the spot to ask a few questions about NEU, with hopes to get me moving in the right direction.

I'm currently an undergrad going for a degree in Exercise Physiology. I had taken this path originally wanted to apply to a Doctoral Physical Therapy program. As I've been progressing though, I had some face time with PAs, as well as other Healthcare Practitioners, and discovered PA is what I want. I live in MA, and had wanted to stay relatively local (I'm still in the military, and have Reserve Duty obligations). NEU is my #1 choice for PA school, and I see their qualifications seem fairly standard, and I'm within the realm of being a candidate.

The first question I have, is how strict are they when it comes to patient contact hours? The reason I ask, is that I'm hoping to take a CNA course, and begin obtaining hours through that, as well as my Practicum through my degree program. I may get close to the 2,000hrs they want, but by the time I apply, I may not have quite that many. What I feel I do have is a very strong total application package. My grades are decent (3.5cGPA, 3.4sGPA) and I am a part of a few volunteer organizations, as well as having been a Combat Veteran/Military veteran for 14+yrs.

The second question, would be, do any shadowing hours help bring the patient contact hours up, or at least help fill gaps there?

I saw that they don't require the GRE, but would it make a difference in the process if I took it, did well, and provided a score?

I feel like I have a million questions, so I figured I'd start there. Financially, I believe I can get the military to help pay for it, for a very humble follow-on Active Duty tour (not like I haven't been on AD before), provided I get accepted.

Thanks for any help you can send my way!!

JT

• 3 months later...

Not sure if you are still following this thread or not, but just wanted to give you some info. I am starting in just over three weeks. (Exciting and terrifying all at the same time).

I had similar gpas as you listed but have been working as a paramedic for 10 years. I know that there were considerably higher gpas among the other candidates that I interviewed with. From what I have heard NEU puts more weight on experience than other local programs. Have you considered emt vs cna? Just a thought.

Anyway, good luck and just keep applying.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Archived