New Grad - Urgent Care / Walk in Clinic prospective offer

-Federally qualified, Non-profit (PSLF eligible) Walk in / Urgent Care clinic in Maine.

-$85,000 base salary ;  not sure if negotiable ; 5k raise after one year ; 37 hours/week ; NO CALL ; director is apparently trying to get raises for everyone across the board.
-$10,000 / year loan repayment before taxes.
- 6 hours PTO earned per week ; think this works out to like 7.5 weeks PTO ; $3500 CME allowance
-Opportunities for OT @ 1.5x /hour
-Holidays paid $750 for 7 hour shift.
-They will pay licensing and DEA
-403b retirement ; not sure on % yet, malpractice, health insurance, life insurance (triple annual income), long term disability

Any questions I should ask? Is this a good offer? The salary is low, but there are a lot of benefits including loan repayment... and I do plan on doing the PSLF loan program. I have another offer for an ED in a more rural location in Maine, but still waiting on the details.

Thanks!

1) That base salary comes out to about $44/hr. My new grad UC offer in the northeast was $50/hr plus $10k yearly productivity bonus. Just something to think about. 

2) What does your training period look like?

3) How many patients per hour are you expected to see?

4) Are you the sole provider? (I would strongly advise against taking an urgent care position as a new grad unless there is a physician or experienced PA/NP working alongside you for your entire shift. You will need a lot of hand holding for the first 3-6 months.)

5) Find out the % match and when you are fully vested in their 403b contribution. 

6) Will you have clinical support staff - RN, MA, x-ray tech, scribe - or will you be giving your own injections, meds, nebulizers, etc? 

7) Are you hourly or salaried? Important because when the doors close at 8pm but you have a patient walk in at 7:55 pm (happens all the time), will you be paid for the extra time? 

Side note:  your PTO seems great. I got three DAYS  pto when I started. Good luck!

PTO seems off - I'd be willing to bet it's 6 hrs per pay period (so every two weeks)...so cut that 7.5 weeks estimate in half.  I highly doubt a new grad UC is earning nearly 2 months PTO.

I'd also proceed with caution with PSLF - make sure you know all the details and nitty gritty to qualify (i.e you can't pay extra or early so make sure that 10k loan repayment is disbursed monthly vs a lump sum yearly and if it's lump sum make sure it goes to you and not directly to the loan servicer or it doesn't count as one of your 120 payments).

Archived