Re-taking pre reqs at a community school! BAD IDEA?

Hello, I'm a senior with public health major. I want to complete my Public Health bachelors at my current college but I want to take the leftover Pre-reqs for PA at a community college at the same time due to financial reasons. Do you think PA schools care if some of the prereqs are taken at a community school? 

Thank you for your responses 

I took ALL of my prereqs at CCs, none of the programs I applied to had a problem with it. While researching 50+ programs, I only came across two that wanted a few advanced science courses taken through universities. It’s not common. Schools know  a lot of applicants are taking or retaking courses on their own dime, for many of us community colleges are the only way to do it. 

I found that when I contacted most schools, they didn’t specify that they wanted prereq courses from a 4 year institution, but preferred to have them from there. At least in terms of a+p, Orgo, biochem, and micro kind of classes. Lower level classes like gen bio and gen chem weren’t as frowned upon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that when I contacted most schools, they didn’t specify that they wanted prereq courses from a 4 year institution, but preferred to have them from there. At least in terms of a+p, Orgo, biochem, and micro kind of classes. Lower level classes like gen bio and gen chem weren’t as frowned upon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve not seen that, especially for working adults who take classes where they can.

Still, checking with specific schools is a fine idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The two schools I spoke with before I applied required that their prereqs were completed at a 4 year institution. One of which im currently attending. Im not saying that its an immediate rejection, but if it comes down to you an another person with the same credentials, it may make the difference

Most schools I have talked to said they did not have a preference. The only thing they did care about was if you performed poorly in a prerequisite that you took at a university and decided to retake it at a community college to try to receive a better grade.

• 4 weeks later...

I took Biochem in a community college where it was only offered as an intro to biochem class and some schools who required Biochem as a prereq did not accept it from there (FSU) while another school didn't mind (NOVA) so definitely individually contact the schools since they tend to be very different.

Archived