Want to quit PA school

Hi everyone. Just wanted to update. So I failed my EOR 3 times and I am on the verge of leaving since they dont have deceleration. The PAEA exams were tougher than in-class exams. I have a bachelors in psychology and 90k in debt now. I have no idea what to do with my life anymore and I think I am having major depression. Thinking back I wish I never chose to do this. I dont have anyone to give me recommendation letters anymore for me to do RN or anything else for that matter. I tried searching online and it seems as if no one was really in this situation. I was a year away from graduating and now I dont want to he in healthcare. Not sure how to about this sitation. I havent told my parents.. its highly dissapointing.

Edited by AspiringPA21

9 hours ago, AspiringPA21 said:

Hi everyone. Just wanted to update. So I failed my EOR 3 times and I am on the verge of leaving since they dont have deceleration. The PAEA exams were tougher than in-class exams. I have a bachelors in psychology and 90k in debt now. I have no idea what to do with my life anymore and I think I am having major depression. Thinking back I wish I never chose to do this. I dont have anyone to give me recommendation letters anymore for me to do RN or anything else for that matter. I tried searching online and it seems as if no one was really in this situation. I was a year away from graduating and now I dont want to he in healthcare. Not sure how to about this sitation. I havent told my parents.. its highly dissapointing.

Go enjoy Thanksgiving and come back and talk with an advisor. Perhaps you can repeat the whole rotation and graduate a month late.

The shock of what you're going through has probably colored your thinking a bunch. There are many options left in life and probably some with respect to what's going on in PA school.

Few things are broken to the point where nothing can be done about it. Take a breather and then work the problem next week.

12 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Go enjoy Thanksgiving and come back and talk with an advisor. Perhaps you can repeat the whole rotation and graduate a month late.

The shock of what you're going through has probably colored your thinking a bunch. There are many options left in life and probably some with respect to what's going on in PA school.

Few things are broken to the point where nothing can be done about it. Take a breather and then work the problem next week.

They do not allow for repeats. Once you fail the EOR three times they usually hold a meeting to decide if they should keep you, which with my grades in rhe past most likely would mean they wont. At this point I am overwhelmed and I do not feel like studying anymore.

They do not allow for repeats. Once you fail the EOR three times they usually hold a meeting to decide if they should keep you, which with my grades in rhe past most likely would mean they wont. At this point I am overwhelmed and I do not feel like studying anymore.

Watch the sun come up tomorrow, smile, eat some turkey, and go see your advisor next week.

Your feelings (which are what you’re talking about) should be under your control. Don’t let them run your life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 8:21 AM, AspiringPA21 said:

Will they let you take some time off, then join the following class for clinicals? One of the students in my class did that and is doing great this time around. I'm not sure if that's feasible where you are, but it may help you get some distance and give you the time to decide if you really are done with healthcare or if it's a temporary sentiment based on your current situation.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:27 AM, UGoLong said:

Watch the sun come up tomorrow, smile, eat some turkey, and go see your advisor next week.

Your feelings (which are what you’re talking about) should be under your control. Don’t let them run your life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spoke to my advisor with the faculty present and I have been dismissed from the program. No retakes, no deceleration, no coming back unless I reapply and start all over. I am at $100,000 debt with a bachelors in Psychology and have no job to fall back to. This is the worst phase of my life and I have no where to get out of it.

On 11/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, wamucc said:

Will they let you take some time off, then join the following class for clinicals? One of the students in my class did that and is doing great this time around. I'm not sure if that's feasible where you are, but it may help you get some distance and give you the time to decide if you really are done with healthcare or if it's a temporary sentiment based on your current situation.

I spoke to them and they said that is not allowed. Unofrtunately my program does not allow for any deceleration or taking breaks. I have been dismissed from the program with 100k in debt. Not sure what to do with a bachelors in Psychology. Paying that loan will take me a very long time even with two jobs and I do not have professors to write me a recommendation for nursing or any other degree.

1 hour ago, AspiringPA21 said:

I spoke to them and they said that is not allowed. Unofrtunately my program does not allow for any deceleration or taking breaks. I have been dismissed from the program with 100k in debt. Not sure what to do with a bachelors in Psychology. Paying that loan will take me a very long time even with two jobs and I do not have professors to write me a recommendation for nursing or any other degree.

Find a job, any job, and start chipping away with IBR (assuming they aren't private loans).  You could consider a trade school program - HVAC, welding, electrician, etc.- that will provide you with a slightly higher than average wage vs. toiling away at an unskilled job.  Retail sales can also pay slightly higher than your average profession if you're making commission/hitting quota though this might be too stressful.

Ultimately, don't get yourself into another situation too quickly based on emotion/stress.  Find a job that you can handle and get back into a 9-5 type routine, spend time with family/friends, exercise and get your mind straight.  This isn't the end of the world.  $100k is a lot of money but I know people with twice that when they graduate with a bachelors, or four times as much and unmatched to a residency after graduating at a Caribbean med school.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, AspiringPA21 said:

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Best wishes; you do have a future ahead of you even if you don't yet know what it is.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/3/2019 at 9:13 AM, AspiringPA21 said:

Hey, how are you doing today? I happened to stumble on this old post of yours. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 2:32 PM, angelicamber said:

Hey, how are you doing today? I happened to stumble on this old post of yours. 

I also wanted to check in. It’s been 2 years but I hope everything worked out for the best. I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, sending lots of love and support!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hey @AspiringPA21

I know it's been a couple years since you posted this, but I was wondering what the outcome ended up being and if you got through PA school and if it was all worth it in the end?

I'm honestly feeling the exact same way you described, and I'm almost at the point where I'm regretting my decision to come to PA school. I knew it was going to be hard but I didn't realize that all I would do day in and day out is study and it is MISERABLE. Hope everything worked out for the better for you, no matter what happened. 

9 hours ago, pastudentsdu17 said:

Hey @AspiringPA21

I know it's been a couple years since you posted this, but I was wondering what the outcome ended up being and if you got through PA school and if it was all worth it in the end?

I'm honestly feeling the exact same way you described, and I'm almost at the point where I'm regretting my decision to come to PA school. I knew it was going to be hard but I didn't realize that all I would do day in and day out is study and it is MISERABLE. Hope everything worked out for the better for you, no matter what happened. 

If you're studying all the time and feeling miserable, it's likely that something is wrong. Students do have to study a lot but they need to have a life as well and most of them do. It's probably time for you to go to your college's student counseling center (or whatever they call it where you are) and talk to someone.

Sometimes feeling miserable does mean that you're in the wrong place but sometimes it just means you're doing it less efficiently than you could or that you are being driven by unrealistic expectations for yourself. Whichever it is, you will learn more about yourself in the process.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 1