Advice on my PA application

Hi guys!

I just applied to PA school, but since I applied so late I am already strengthing my application so that I can apply next cycle in May. I just wanted to get a few people’s thoughts on ways that I can make it better, along with people’s thought on my application so far. Is it a good start to getting in?

Heres what i have-

Degree: Undergraduate in interdisciplinary heath sciences

GPA: overall 3.3 and currently retaking some courses to strengthen that and make my CASPA gpa higher. 

HCE: I have 80 hours as an intern in a cardiopulmonary rehab facility from college. currently, I have ~1700 hours as a PT aide and continuing, and I just recently began scribing in the emergency department and will be doing that about 20 hours a week. I plan on doing both and was wondering what people thought of this combination- is it good for HCE or should I try a CNA route?

Shadowing: I am currently shadowing a family practice MD and am looking for ways to shadow a PA as well. I will have about 25 hours with the MD.

GRE: 303 but plan on retaking it in february. I got a 150 on quantitative and 153 on qualitative. I got a 5 on writing.

Rec letters: I have one from a science professor, one from a physical therapist and one from an exercise physiologist. hoping to get one from the MD I’m shadowing. 

Volunteering: In college, I volunteered at a nursing home, a hospital in the medsurg unit and also at the women’s resource center for women who were abused, had eating disorders, etc. 

That’s it! What do you guys think? I would love to here thoughts and advice on how I can improve it and what I’m doing right!! Thanks :)

Hi! 

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if you did not get in this round based on two things; you applied late in the cycle when the majority of applicants applied back in May/June/July, and your cGPA/HCE is about average. However, that doesn't say you're automatically disqualified. Maybe there is a program out there that really wants you. Be optimistic but prepare for the worse. 

Keep improving just in case you have to reapply next cycle. I wish you the best!

Thank you for the advice!!! Yes I agree, I’m already preparing myself for the denial emails and am keeping hopes up for next cycle ? I wasn’t expecting to get in this year, it was more of hopeful wishing and to see if I can improve! I still have a lot of work to do for sure.

I would say another 6-8 months in multiple jobs along with improving your GRE scores and maybe GPA will definitely help. 

I would also say it depends on what schools you're applying. My GPA wasn't as good, while I had a lot of HCE and volunteer hours (as a CNA/monitor tech and volunteer EMT) and a solid GRE score. My school accepted a lot of well-rounded individuals who complement each other well though, so that might be something to take into account as well. 

Overall, I think your number of hours as a whole are slightly low at this point but your number of different experiences is good. I would definitely look into shadowing at least 1 or 2 PAs, preferably in different fields a couple of times each to get a different perspective on each. 

Write a great personal statement though that will catch their attention and it might steal you an interview you otherwise wouldn't have received. Once you get an interview, anything can happen! good luck! 

Thank you for the advice!! ? I’m also currently getting my EMT-B license in hopes of becoming an ED tech eventually. and yes I’ve been trying to shadow PAs for years and have had no luck ? unfortunately a lot of places don’t offer it. But I’ll keep looking!!

6 minutes ago, hwhang said:

Thank you for the advice!! ? I’m also currently getting my EMT-B license in hopes of becoming an ED tech eventually. and yes I’ve been trying to shadow PAs for years and have had no luck ? unfortunately a lot of places don’t offer it. But I’ll keep looking!!

That's interesting. I was able to shadow multiple different specialties at quite a few places. Fam med, ortho/surgery, ED. hopefully some thing comes through for you. 

Archived