How Much $$$ Do You Make? Poll (Pt.2)

How Much $$$ Do You Make? Poll (Pt.2)  

315 members have voted

1. 1. How Much $$$ Do You Make? Poll (Pt.2)

• $80-90k
    • $91-100k
    • $101-110k
    • $111-120k
    • $121-$130k
    • $131-140k
    • $141-150k
    • $151-160k
    • $161-170k
    • $171-180k
    • $181-190k
    • $191-200k
    • > $200k

Nocturnist in WA state at mid-size urban hospital, Level III trauma center. Current salary is 115,500 base for 120 12-hour shifts per year, get paid $1000 extra per shift. No bonuses but the schedule is amazing. I started practicing two years ago and have been in hospital medicine since graduation.

Unfortunately my group is being taken over by Providence and I'm less happy with the new package but giving it time. Base salary will be 107,700 for 124 12-hour shifts a year. 10% bonus for jumping through a bunch of hoops, including attending monthly meetings, being on committees, and educational stuff. Extra shifts paid at a 1.2x differential so will be about the same, $1042 per shift.

Ends up being probably around the same amount I make now ultimately but now I have to drive 45 minutes one way to the hospital for a bunch of administrative meetings that will be held at noon once a month as well as being on a committee that will have meetings and take up my time outside of work. Part of the reason I work at night is because I don't want to deal with the admin stuff. Wish it were enough to just come in and do my job well but now a good portion of my income will be based on what equates to busy work in my mind. 

• Like 1

ED work. 
3 yrs out of school.
Completed ED residency. 

Primary job is ~$120K/yr for 24hrs of coverage/wk at a critical access hospital. Mostly weekend overnights. Midwest area.
Also do locums at varying amounts. For this survey, let's say around $20k for this year which is about 5-6 24hr shifts. 

Edited by JMann
Correct # of locums shifts

7 hours ago, JMann said:

ED work. 
3 yrs out of school.
Completed ED residency. 

Primary job is ~$120K/yr for 24hrs of coverage/wk at a critical access hospital. Mostly weekend overnights. Midwest area.
Also do locums at varying amounts. For this survey, let's say around $20k for this year which is about 10-11 24hr shifts. 

What was the pay like during the residency. 

On 10/15/2018 at 12:15 PM, Believe said:

resident pay is usually 45-55k/year depending on region. he went to iowa for residency which pays around 55k last time i was looking into it

Correct. I think when I started at Iowa, pay was $52k/year. Interestingly enough, they pay all their residents monthly. Not sure if that's similar in other residencies. 

Numbers to know in EM -  35$ collected per RVU for medicaid, up to 100+$ collected per RVU for private insurances.  150$ collected on average per ER patient.  

You work 150 hours per month X 12 months per year X 2 patients per hour X 150$ collected per patient = 540,000$ per year collected in your name.  

I'm all for the PA-MD team and clearly the docs earn what they make as well, but it doesn't seem so outrageous that we have some experienced PAs making 200k per year......

Know the numbers.

Edited by SERENITY NOW
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

12 hours ago, BirdDogPA said:

In my neck of the woods solo coverage ED is about 80-90 hr with some places being as high as 120 hr. Just curious if this is average, above, below... 

That's not the norm where I am. Seems to be $65-85/hr around the state. Sure there are outliers, but overall that's what I've found. Also depends on 1099 vs W2. Lots of the places around here don't pay that much more for 1099 which is incredibly frustrating, especially in a state with state income tax. 

11 hours ago, SERENITY NOW said:

Numbers to know in EM -  35$ collected per RVU for medicaid, up to 100+$ collected per RVU for private insurances.  150$ collected on average per ER patient.  

You work 150 hours per month X 12 months per year X 2 patients per hour X 150$ collected per patient = 540,000$ per year collected in your name.  

Now it doesn't seem so outrageous that we have PAs making over 200k per year......

Know what you are worth.

This is huge knowledge to have on hand when negotiating! 

This info isn't so useful when negotiating with rural/critical access places since production isn't really possible. In those instances it's more about them wanting to have a qualified person on hand. A critical access hospitals opinion of the value of a qualified provider(PA vs MD of any variety) varies widely. I talked to a recruiter at one of the large ED contracting companies back this summer about a rural coverage position- solo provider every other weekend from Friday 7pm- Monday 7am. They wanted to pay $70/hr and using the low pt volumes of 4-5 pts/24 hrs as justification. This was also a 1099 job. Crazy! It would have been like $48/hr after state and federal taxes. When I did push him for more $$, he also told me that they have FM providers come in from outside the area to cover the ED for $90/hr as a 1099. I suspect that was a lie, but you never know. Told him thanks, but no thanks.

2 hours ago, delco714 said:

Update

45 hours a week (including time for lunch). 1/4 weekend call from 8a-12p only

Gu with 1st asst, clinic, hospital coverage in rotation

With base, call pay, pt satisfaction bonus, rvu bonus

About $208-215k. (Not including benefits). In a state with no income tax

5+ years experience.

Goals.

Congrats!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, delco714 said:

Update

5+ years experience.

No income tax is the part I'm most envious of. California is looking less and less appealing 

On 10/27/2018 at 3:07 PM, delco714 said:

Update

5+ years experience.

Sweet.  Great gig, awesome pay, and no income tax, Maine winters, or Massholes in the summer!

Enjoy it!!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 9:37 PM, mika said:

Florida IM 150k out of school?!?!? This thread is making me sick. base 94k with 10 yrs exp NICU, all nights, weekends and holidays for 173 hrs a month in FL. I was picking up extra hrs up to 240 hrs a month only getting base plus $5/hr... I need some help

Why?

Are you in a vacation area in FL, versus others in more rural?  Is NICU in your area overwhelmed by NPs?  

If you don't like it, do something to change it (or just accept it).

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Why?

Are you in a vacation area in FL, versus others in more rural?  Is NICU in your area overwhelmed by NPs?  

If you don't like it, do something to change it (or just accept it).

Exactly... As you can clearly see, there are very good offers out there as well as many crappy ones... If you aren't happy where you are, do something about it...

Rural area in Critical Access Hospital. 3 years out of school.

Base 120K

15 dollars per pt visit.

Take 2 weeks of call a month for first assist cases only.

Average 50 hours a week.

Busy with family clinic, first assisting in the OR for all surgeons, and at times wound clinic, surgery clinic and ortho clinic.

This year will make around 210K.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It is driven by location, experience and demand. I'm in quasi-rural more suburban east Texas big organization UC and my current base is $154k with time and a half OT after 40 hours a week. I happened in here by luck and circumstances. I had to move to get closer to aging parents and a special needs grand daughter and they had lost some providers just before cold and flu season. They needed me just when I needed a job. What was normally a 3 month credentialling process took about a month. In January I'll get another 3% pay raise. Benefits are pretty good too.

Every once in a while when I think I am soooooo tired of this crap I am reminded it is a pretty good gig and it certainly pays well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For those making over $130k help a brother out and tell me what field and what part of the US. I have been a PA for 12 years in both urgent care and ER and seen very few PAs make that much or more. I doing something way wrong.  

Emergency medicine, midwest: SW Ohio and Indiana.  You can get there easily with 1 FT job and ~3 extra shifts/month with a PT gig.  For example, 180 hours/month at $60/hour gets you to $130K.  Go above that either on hourly rate or hours/month gets you there.  For me 12 hour shifts vs 10 makes a big difference in # days/month I'm working.

12 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Emergency medicine, midwest: SW Ohio and Indiana.  You can get there easily with 1 FT job and ~3 extra shifts/month with a PT gig.  For example, 180 hours/month at $60/hour gets you to $130K.  Go above that either on hourly rate or hours/month gets you there.  For me 12 hour shifts vs 10 makes a big difference in # days/month I'm working.

even better with 24s as you can get full time hrs in 6 shifts. anything else is gravy. I typically do 9-10 shifts/mo( 3 of those are 12s).