Besides pay, what is your favorite work benefit/perk?

Govt rate health insurance for my family. Hands down. We now pay ⅓ of what we spent on my husband's union school policies which were better than any private organization. Same company, same coverage - ⅓ the cost.

I have great PTO and a sick bank that I never had either.

If it has to be tangible - the above is it.

Not quite tangible - I am treated with respect and "not just a midlevel" as one of my colleagues put it. I enjoy autonomy and get respect from my colleagues that makes me feel useful and fulfilled. 

I agree with above, long shifts and flexible scheduling definitely a major perk in my opinion. I love the fact that I only have to work 3 days a week, leaving me with 4 days to do as i please. In most instances, i can front load 3 days and backload 3 days to have 8 consecutive days off in between to take a vacation where ever i went. Don't even have to touch my PTO.

I can say its not for everyone though. Working 12.5 hour shifts can get rough and tiring at times, but if you can do it and your job offers it, i say go for it. I would never be able to go back to the monotony of a 9-5 5 day/wk job. 

State pension 

pride in mission (I work in one of the top correctional facilities in country)

cell phone (not a big deal but sure is nice to never have to worry about it and get a new iPhone every 2 years

NOT having to deal with 8nsurance companies or sales reps

22 hours ago, SoCal_PA said:

I would have to say mine is the PTO. As a first year employee, they give us 5 weeks PTO + 9 paid holidays off + 1 week CME paid time off. The next tier comes after 5 years when we get 6 weeks PTO

That is incredible.  We get less then 1 week of PTO......per year.  

No CME, No sick days, no holidays.

Welcome to corporate Urgent Care in the South.

56 minutes ago, Cideous said:

That is incredible.  We get less then 1 week of PTO......per year.  

No CME, No sick days, no holidays.

Welcome to corporate Urgent Care in the South.

Ouch; I'd start looking elsewhere.  I'm at an academic center in the Northeast; even as a new hire our PAs accrue over 300 hours of PTO per year (over 7 weeks).  This isn't including the 40 hours of paid CME days, the CME budget, or the 7 or 8 recognized holidays (still have to work since I'm EM, but 1.5x pay). 

Guest HanSolo
4 hours ago, cbrsmurf said:

Used to be free food at my last job.  It's so much easier to eat healthy when food is free.

Ha - I see your point of view but feel the opposite. Harder for me to eat healthy when food is free because I just eat way too much. If I am paying for something I tend to avoid unhealthy foods. 

Archived