Do ARNP's need to be certified as PMHNP to take psychiatry jobs?

I currently work in a psychiatry practice, they told me that it was hard finding ARNP's to fill the role because they look for PMHNP certification in particular. ARNP's are a dime a dozen but PMHNP are not.

My 1st job out of PA school was with a Primary Care practice and there was an ARNP that was on her way out. She told me she took a job in psychiatry. So I wasn't sure if she was PMHNP certified because she was already working 1 year with us (the primary care practice).

depends on the state. some places (like TX), require NPs to work within their specialty. Others(many others...) do not. I have seen FNPs working in every specialty you can imagine, despite no formal training or prior experience in that specialty. a lot of places just want a warm body who does not need a supervisor.

• Like 1

Also depends on the facility. Many will stipulate that the ARNP be psych certified for a psych position, regardless of the state law. I believe there can be problems with reimbursement for psychotherapy services unless the pt sees a psychiatrist or psych NP.

Some places will take (shoddily trained) FNPs and employ (and underpay) them as NPs in a psych setting since PMHNPs usually command high salaries and are harder to find. I find these facilities tend to not be great places to work and don't really respect the psych specific training PMHNPs get, kind of the attitude that psych is 'easy', 'anyone can do it', etc. I could go on about this practice...

Edited by Lexapro
  • Like 1