Resource page for the student veteran pre-PA

There are a plethora of pre-PA pages and resources out there, but very few geared toward the student veteran. I would like to change that and build one in the near future, perhaps even an expanded one for the student veteran pre-healthcare professional. I was hoping to solicit a few ideas for establishing a baseline for content.

What are some topics that you would find helpful, or would have before you started PA school?

So far I have:
-Demilitarization of the CV/translating experience
-Navigating the application process
-Transition from full time military to full time student
-Interviewing as a student vet
-Scholarships and alternative funding

I appreciate any and all ideas, and hope to build a substantial compilation of resources for our brothers/sisters in arms who are aiming to add PA-C after their name. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

How about attending PA school while an actively drilling reservist or guardsman? I know that when I was accepted to a civilian school at first, one of my main concerns was how to fulfill my army reserves obligation after moving out of state for an intense grad school program. I have also served with others who have had a rough time finding the balance between fulfilling the unit's mission, and keeping to a strict school schedule. Of course, there are benefits too, like funding, but also networking and contacts for LOR's for those who may have spent most of their careers as non-medical. Sorry, I can't point to any specific resources, but those are some ideas that maybe someone more creative than I can help others with.

Oh, and some PA schools are particularly vet friendly. A list may help point others in the right direction. Idaho State University is one of those to start your list off with. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

There probably aren't a plethora of Veteran pre-PA pages because, as a Veteran, you aren't on some ambiguous, parallel track for PA school. You have to go through the same process and rigor as a "traditional" pre-PA student. Thus, the same resources that apply to non-Veteran students and applicants applies to you, as well. Your other talking points are typically well addressed by other resources.

Regarding translating military experience into civilian parlance on a CV, your military unit did you a disservice (or you didn't pay attention) during out-processing if they did not review such topics. But never fear, I didn't pay attention either. Student-Veterans are now very common and most large universities have student-Veteran organizations that receive tremendous support from the schools. These organizations are great resources for CV help. Additionally, within these organizations, you will find other student-Veterans which can provide a strong structure of support, socially and academically. Do not underestimate these organizations. Additionally, many large universities actually have courses geared towards Veterans which address your aforementioned concerns and topics of interest.

The application process, in my opinion, shouldn't require special guidance. Everything that you are going to apply for should have the requirements (prerequisites, required materials, contact information, etc.) on their website. If you cannot figure this out on your own, then...

Transitioning from military to student is tough, especially considering that your previous military job PROBABLY did not require the intense studying or focus that will be required. Your best bet for this information, as previously mentioned, is on-campus student-Veteran organizations, school counselors, and course professors. Like I mentioned, most schools have courses for student-Veterans to assist with this dramatic change, and probably also have similar courses for other non-traditional students (e.g. older, second career, etc), which would be equally effective, that review study tips, learning tools, etc. Being a full-time student is a full-time job, and then some. Most of this process will have to be learned from experience rather than some online PDF guide. Best advice is to over-prepare and then adjust from there after having a good feel for it. 

Interviewing as student-Veteran is nothing special, in and of itself. Just know how to interact appropriately with people and you'll be fine. Like all people, Veteran or not, it's beneficial to be able to highlight your experience (military or otherwise) and how your experience sets you apart and how it is applicable to the job at hand. It takes practice and some careful thought, but crafting your military experience into your answers is money. Interviewers, employers, and schools, in my experience, have a a seeded preference for military (they may not be able to overtly say as much), so just having the experience will help you get your foot in the door, but you still have to be a normal human who can effectively communicate (and who has produced results) to take it further. There isn't a cookie cutter formula for incorporating your military experience, but spend the time to write out your responses to likely interview questions and practice reciting them aloud (yes, physically write your answers, study them, speak out loud in front of a mirror!). This has worked well for me through numerous interviews, and I am yet to field an unexpected interview question.

Scholarships and alternative funding - Google, guidance counselors, scholarship/grant databases. Honestly, my GI Bill covered the entirety of my undergraduate education, including living expenses (I also worked 15-25 hours/week).

To echo AdamPAS, there are a bunch of PA schools that are Veteran friendly. Again, Google them. Some programs actually rceive grants to ensure Veterans are represented in their ranks and have an associated quota for Veterans in each PA class.

Your desire to compile a list of resources is admirable, but I honestly just don't think it's required. There are just too many other resources out there that are a few keystrokes away that are more applicable to the Veteran population than you think.

Archived