Choice Between 2 Schools - Need Help From Current PA-C/PA-S

Hello! I feel blessed to be coming to you guys with such a problem, but it's been weighing on me and need advice from current PA-S's and PA-C's.

I have been accepted to two schools: School A which is 20 minutes away from my current living space and School B which is closer to my parents, but still about an hour away. Schools A and B seem pretty comparable in terms of curriculum, program length (A: 27 mo versus B: 25 mo), PANCE pass rates (A: 97 versus B: 99), tuition (a difference of 3K), and employment rates after graduation. The main differences that I see are that school B is associated with a medical school, so networking opportunities and strength in name and that school B will end up costing almost 40K more due to cost of living expenses. School B was my top choice prior to interviewing but was not the first school to get back to me, therefore, I have not placed my deposit. School B is also where most of my college friends settled and has an opportunity for research, which is important to me. School A has cheaper living costs, and somewhat of a support system from my current workplace friends.

l have seen two basic schools of thought for this quandary, which include:

• Go to the cheapest school, you'll thank yourself later.
  • Go to the school that you will regret not going to if you choose otherwise.

Do you agree with either of these or have your own idea based on your own experience? Any anecdotes proving either correct or other statements would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Are the two schools of thought mutually exclusive for you?

I would have loved to go to a cheaper program.  Looking down the barrel of 6 figure loan repayment makes me feel like I will have to wait 10 years to really get started on life and puts me behind on when I'd like to retire.

That said, my school is a big name in my area and any patient who is on the fence about seeing a PA is usually comforted by the fact that I went to a good school (because they have no idea that 'no-name' schools can offer equally good educations)...it's unfortunate that that's how it is, but any time I'm asked where I went to school I'm glad I have a recognizable alma mater.  So I guess it was worth the higher price tag (which was primarily due to living expenses honestly).

Frankly it's the toss of a coin based on what you've told me here.  I'd suggest looking at clinical rotations offered by each program (Do you have to travel?  Do they provide housing if necessary? Number of electives?).  Which area do you want to be in when you graduate?  There is a LOT to be said about making connections during clinical year.

57 minutes ago, HanSolo said:

Could you live with your parents while attending B, or is that too far?

School B would be about 50-60 minute commute from my parents' place to the school. Plus its a January start in the Northeast, so I feel like it might be too far with snow being an additional risk factor. It's a good thought and I definitely have considered it.

47 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Are the two schools of thought mutually exclusive for you?

I would have loved to go to a cheaper program.  Looking down the barrel of 6 figure loan repayment makes me feel like I will have to wait 10 years to really get started on life and puts me behind on when I'd like to retire.

That said, my school is a big name in my area and any patient who is on the fence about seeing a PA is usually comforted by the fact that I went to a good school (because they have no idea that 'no-name' schools can offer equally good educations)...it's unfortunate that that's how it is, but any time I'm asked where I went to school I'm glad I have a recognizable alma mater.  So I guess it was worth the higher price tag (which was primarily due to living expenses honestly).

Frankly it's the toss of a coin based on what you've told me here.  I'd suggest looking at clinical rotations offered by each program (Do you have to travel?  Do they provide housing if necessary? Number of electives?).  Which area do you want to be in when you graduate?  There is a LOT to be said about making connections during clinical year.

I would consider my situation to have these schools of thought be mutually exclusive, yes. Program B seems to have a lot in its favor in terms of what I want, however, Program A has cost in its favor, which is a significant criterion to evaluate. I feel that I would either regret missing the opportunity of going to Program B or regret the financial gains I could have had if I went to Program A. Like you said, it's a toss-up, and no one will really know the right answer about regrets except for me on graduation day, but I feel like if I pick some brains of people who've gone through this process, I am better equipped to make the best decision for me. What you said about patients' understanding of recognizable alma maters was interesting, and based upon my own experiences with how patients sometimes react to seeing a midlevel provider is something to definitely consider.

Does program A start in January, too? If not, then even if B is more expensive, the January start gives you 6-8 months extra earning power compared to the alternative. Save save save and pay off those loans. 

2 hours ago, HanSolo said:

Does program A start in January, too? If not, then even if B is more expensive, the January start gives you 6-8 months extra earning power compared to the alternative. Save save save and pay off those loans. 

Both are January start but B is 25 months vs 27 months for A. So two months could be competitive.

I would say go to school B. For me, better rotations is key. Also, live near school. 20 min away is totally doable, but I love not being confined at school all day. I have a 2 min drive to school every day and I love it. If I have an hour break between classes, I can either nap or go make some food. It keeps me sane through the week. Dont go cheap for school. You will make the money back when youre out. Go with your first choice

The school aligned with a medical school brings to mind a question. I considered a school like that and learned that there was almost zero integration between the medical school and the PA program and that the PA students had to compete with the medical school for rotations at the local hospital (also affiliated with the college).

I'm sure there are schools that pull this off well, but apparently one can't assume that that's what happens.

Overall, picking a school is a personal decision. Money matters, distance matters, old friends matter, etc, etc, but in the end, it's how you want to spend the next two years plus of your life.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone!

After some serious introspection, I did end up choosing school B. While it would be nice to have less debt in the long run, I think that what @PADisplayName said rings true: my heart is there. There are so many pros with school B that I cannot pass on the opportunity. I appreciate everyone's insight and input in this process, and I hope to be just as helpful to future PA students as you all have been for me. 

Archived