Lol0247

Applying to PA school with a mediocre GPA, but tons of HCE

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting here on the forum and was hoping I could get some direction seeing as I have already benefited so much from reading past posts. I just submitted my application for the first time. I have an overall science GPA of 3.31 and my overall non-science is a 3.47. I am 31 years old and have been working as a sonographer for the past five years at a government hospital. I could go into more stats, but my main question has to do with last year’s grades. The last two semesters I withdrew (received a W) from genetics due to my aunt having cancer. I went in with good intentions, but realized I knew I needed to take time off. I mentioned it briefly in my personal statement, but didn’t want to spend much time on it or seem as though I was trying to negate the blame. I know schools look for an upward trend, so my question is will these recent  W’s inhibit my admission? Thank you in advance 

Welcome! I have similar GPA stats to yours, less PCE, and have gotten accepted (plus more interviews coming up!). I do not have any Ws on my transcript, but have seen several posts about getting accepted with more Ws then you have. Have you retaken those classes and gotten As? I doubt that two Ws with clear explanation will seriously hinder your applications competitiveness. 

• Like 1

Thanks for responding. That is so awesome you got accepted, congratulations!!!! I am Re-taking the class (Genetics) right now. So far I have an A *fingers crossed* . My pre-requs thus far for the last 3 years have been micro-A , anatomy-A, physiology-B, molecular cell Biology- B, Gen Chem I- B and A in lab, Gen Chem II- C/ C in both lecture and lab. So ya, I’d like to definitely go in with a 3.5, but hoping my 10,000+ hours of patient care will help me. 

Your PCE is solid. I would recommend applying to schools who place an emphasis on PCE and do not have minimum GPA requirements. With a solid personal stament and GRE score you should have a shot! Good luck!

Edited by Bubbles
Typo
  • Like 1

Thanks Bubbles ?

Ya I have tried researching schools that have a more holistic approach to accepting potential students. If you know of any off hand I'm all ears!

My gpas are both lower than yours. 4000 hours of HCE. I’m currently in year 2 of pa school. Make sure your letters are good. You’d be surprised how many people get bad letters and don’t even know. Have a great PS. It doesn’t need to be perfectly written, but the content needs to be solid. PM me if you have questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Lol0247 said:

Thanks Bubbles ?

Ya I have tried researching schools that have a more holistic approach to accepting potential students. If you know of any off hand I'm all ears!

I don’t know many off of the top of my head, but if you want to stay in your state, start there and research stats of accepted students on the schools’ websites. Also, interview invites have already been extended for this cycle for UNC, but they seem to value PCE. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Chewbecca
      Hello! I plan on applying to Saint Elizabeth for the 2021 application cycle and I wish to be as prepared as possible. Does anyone have any tips/stats/advice?! Anything is appreciated. Thank you!
    • By naomiesterm
      Hello,
      When I started college, I was in my school's engineering program for 4 years ( with an almost completed minor in Marine Biology). Upon my last year, I changed my major from engineering to Marine Biology. My engineering GPA has forced my overall GPA to be about 2.6. My Marine Biology GPA is above a 3.0. (All of the current pre reqs for PA school that I have taken with the exception of OCHEM 1 (C), have been Bs or better. I did improve from OCHEM 1 to 2 by getting a B)
      I still have to finish my BS in Marine Biology ( graduate in December) but I was thinking about getting an AA degree with surgical tech ( using it to get HCE/PCE by working for a year). 
      Does my AA gpa count as undergrad GPA even though I took it after my bachelor's degree?
      How does my engineering grades affect my CASPA application even though it doesnt apply to my major anymore? ( side note, my university does not replace grades for courses retaken. They simply average the two together)

Thank you in advanced!
      Naomi

• By Majesticu
      Hey guys,
      I'm currently considering applying next year and was wondering if anyone could share their stats for getting into nova or any other school in florida, especially how many pce hours, since they don't seem to require it but I'm not sure how many most applicants have.
    • By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By PANCEon
      I wish at 18, I would've chosen the pre-pa route and gotten an associate's degree in DMS or an echo cardiogram tech then continued to get certified in different specialties. I may have taken pre med courses as well. Became a CNA and worked in many different specialties, hospitals, hospice, nursing and rehab facilities for experience, money, connections, letters of recommendation, on the job training to get certified in imaging, phlebotomy, resp tech, occupational or physical therapy technicians, basic EMT 1-IV, ER tech, pharmacy tech, and become a American Red Cross CNA trainer or at least CPR, AED, BLS, first aid and phlebotomy instructor's. Setting up blood drives, charity events etc. Too many ideas to count. I know now that being a healthcare professional  is my calling. Some ppl can just play the piano, which I can't, but medicine/biology/anatomy, makes perfect sense. But, I'm 40 now, and my Psychology degree I got in 2001 afforded me sales positions from food broker territory manager, pharmaceutical sales, animal diagnostic laboratory sales manager. I worked from home and travelled all over. I liked being my own boss, and other's as well. I then became a seller and writer of mortgages. Now, I have been on disability for 10yrs and am ready to do what I was meant to. I just wish I was younger. That's why it's important for me to manage my time and not waste a minute doing something that isn't going to help me get in a program. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More