Family Practice Offer

Posting this both for thoughts, but also to give others something to review.  I interviewed and received a job offer the same day - I was a bit surprised as I have never had a same day offer, but I guess I'm just that good!!!  just kidding...maybe 8-)

FYI = I have almost 2 years PA experience, almost 18 months of that is FP

Salary = $102,500 base

Bonus = $19.33 per RVU over 3300 annual RVUs

PTO = accrued every 2 weeks, but equals 20 days (everything but CME comes out of this - plus they are actually changing the PTO but don't know what it will be yet) - of note they would allow me to go into a PTO hole if I needed PTO shortly after being hired, but just not beyond what I would accrue in a single year.

CME = $2000 + 40 hours

Relocation = $8,000 stipend

Commencement bonus = $10,000 - but must repay if employment ends before 2 years (they don't normally offer to people with experience, but added perk as they "want me")

Tuition repayment = $5000 per year for 2 years - paid at conclusion of each year of employment, no repaying if employment ends early

Malpractice = provided + tail (don't know specific coverage amounts)

Hours = 36 hours of clinic, and I believe they would be open to me working four 9 hour days which is wonderful.

Health Insurance = waiting to hear about costs

I do have a few questions I plan to ask about such as UpToDate available, stipend for professional societies, etc.

I plan to request/counter:

Salary = $110,000

PTO = 25 days + 40hr CME (this would be everything)

Remove the Commencement bonus and Tuition repayment

• 3 weeks later...

So, finally was able to get back and visit with my wife, which was a prerequisite to moving forward.  Placed the counter as stated before with the exception that I did not ask for increased PTO.  I wanted to, but did not get the feeling that was negotiable after learning two of the newly hired docs also received 20 days.  Plus, with only working 4 days per week, 20 days is 5 weeks instead of the usual 4.  So now the offer is as below - I plan to accept:

Salary = $110,000 base

Bonus = $19.33 per RVU over 3300 annual RVUs

PTO = accrued every 2 weeks, but equals 20 days (everything but CME comes out of this - plus they are actually changing the PTO but don't know what it will be yet) - of note they would allow me to go into a PTO hole if I needed PTO shortly after being hired, but just not beyond what I would accrue in a single year.

CME = $2000 + 40 hours

Relocation = $8,000 stipend removed (this was the only "extra" thing they asked to remove with the higher salary request which I readily agreed because I probably won't really need anyway)

Commencement bonus = $10,000 - removed per my request for higher base salary

Tuition repayment = $5000 per year for 2 years - removed per my request for higher base salary

Malpractice = provided + tail (don't know specific coverage amounts)

Hours = 36 hours of clinic, four 9 hour days

Health Insurance = very reasonable options from $140-$440 per paycheck premium for family - likely will do the $180 HDHP with HSA

UpToDate included, but any professional society dues would come from CME monies.

Archived