GRE ADVISE

Hey everyone! 

I need some advice, I've taken the GRE 3 Times and couldn't get passed a 287... I am feeling really discouraged at the moment and was planning on taking it again in October but I feel as much as  I am studying and preparing I am not improving. This cycle I've applied to only 2 schools that don't require the GRE outstate and haven't heard back yet. However, my top choices are in Florida because I live here and most of them require the GRE! Has anyone been in this similar situation before? I know the GRE isn't everything on the application but under 290 is super low and I know better than to apply with that score. I tried Magoosh and Manthann prep and multiple book guides. ANY ADVICE WILL HELP! 

Thanks guys ?

3 hours ago, Beyuu said:

Hey everyone! 

I need some advice, I've taken the GRE 3 Times and couldn't get passed a 287... I am feeling really discouraged at the moment and was planning on taking it again in October but I feel as much as  I am studying and preparing I am not improving. This cycle I've applied to only 2 schools that don't require the GRE outstate and haven't heard back yet. However, my top choices are in Florida because I live here and most of them require the GRE! Has anyone been in this similar situation before? I know the GRE isn't everything on the application but under 290 is super low and I know better than to apply with that score. I tried Magoosh and Manthann prep and multiple book guides. ANY ADVICE WILL HELP! 

Thanks guys ?

Which section are you struggling with the most? 

In my mind practice makes perfect... essentially I went through practice set after practice set until I felt comfortable. I also used a stack of flash cards with obscure vocab words. If you're struggling with the math section I'd recommend making up a formula sheet as a reference for when you're working through practice problems. For the writing section I read over previous high-scoring essays from the GRE prep book, but in hindsight should have done practice essays as well. My GRE score was V 168, Q 160 and W 4.5

Hope this helps a little, let me know if you have any questions! 

How long did you study for? What scores were you getting on practice tests beforehand? Which section is harder for you?

I did the 6-month Magoosh study guide and got a 320 (V 160, Q 160, W 5.0). I loved Magoosh, however, I am comfortable with self-study and pushed myself to practice every day. I would either only apply to schools that do not take the GRE or do not take it again until you consistently are getting high scores on practice tests.

On 9/22/2018 at 6:24 PM, panglossian said:

How long did you study for? What scores were you getting on practice tests beforehand? Which section is harder for you?

I did the 6-month Magoosh study guide and got a 320 (V 160, Q 160, W 5.0). I loved Magoosh, however, I am comfortable with self-study and pushed myself to practice every day. I would either only apply to schools that do not take the GRE or do not take it again until you consistently are getting high scores on practice tests.

Well, I studied for about 4 months the first time and then a month about the others and I was getting decent scores on the practice test days leading up to the exams so I felt confident. However, my test scores said otherwise! I might have to consider a tutor or in person prep course but It's so expensive and wanted to avoid that route. I have been studying for 2 months so far before the next exam but my practice scores haven't increased so I might consider pushing the exam back until I see a change in score! Thank you for the advice! 

On 9/22/2018 at 4:34 PM, Prepaguy23 said:

I would consider either just applying to schools that don’t require the Gre or taking a pre class. My Gre is much higher than yours while still not great I have been denied from a school for it already. 

If you don't mind sharing what was your score and GPA? 

I am in a similar situation. I've taken the GRE 3 times..

1st time- 294

2nd time- 292

got a tutor and 3rd time got a 298, my problem is the verbal, my math is a 152- obviously can be improved as wel. 

This is my 2nd cycle applying and have been rejected from everywhere and getting very discouraged. I know I need to improve my GRE (my GPA meets criteria but not competitive and I have good HCE) and feeling lost as where to begin as I feel like this is the one thing holding me back. 

Do people recommend Magoosh or one of those crash courses that you sit through the entire weekend?

9 hours ago, CMPA2 said:

I am in a similar situation. I've taken the GRE 3 times..

1st time- 294

2nd time- 292

got a tutor and 3rd time got a 298, my problem is the verbal, my math is a 152- obviously can be improved as wel. 

This is my 2nd cycle applying and have been rejected from everywhere and getting very discouraged. I know I need to improve my GRE (my GPA meets criteria but not competitive and I have good HCE) and feeling lost as where to begin as I feel like this is the one thing holding me back. 

Do people recommend Magoosh or one of those crash courses that you sit through the entire weekend?

Well Magoosh is where I started and I didn't really feel as it t helped as much as other people but then again everyone is different in the way they learn. I am in the same boat and feel really discouraged but we can't give up! We have to fight for what we want. Im considering more schools now that don't require the GRE and also trying to figure out how I can improve my GRE score before even considering taking it again. Remember its not a race to get there and everyone is different! 

15 hours ago, Beyuu said:

Well Magoosh is where I started and I didn't really feel as it t helped as much as other people but then again everyone is different in the way they learn. I am in the same boat and feel really discouraged but we can't give up! We have to fight for what we want. Im considering more schools now that don't require the GRE and also trying to figure out how I can improve my GRE score before even considering taking it again. Remember its not a race to get there and everyone is different! 

Thank you so much for encouragement! It's so easy to get discouraged during this whole process but you're right- never give up if it's what you truly want!

Archived