NP education: simulation hours?

It surprises me how eager y'all are to jump all over NPs, such hysteria. I'm glad some level-headed people jumped in to suggest that perhaps people should bother checking sources before they raise their pitchforks. Yikes.

While OP was/is a troll, there was some truth to his/her post though right?

I will agree that some posters went whole Hog though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/22/2018 at 2:01 AM, lemurcatta said:

Not sure I understand your post. If you’re seeking clarification, then yes, I do know for sure if NP programs requiring 750, and yes, I do know for sure that is less than half of the hours local PA programs require. 

Sorry i read your post incorrectly. I thought you were saying that some NP programs require 750 hours, and some PA programs require less than half of that. That would be absurd to be able to graduate with having only 375 clinical hours.

On 9/22/2018 at 8:28 PM, Kaepora said:

The main change was that CCNE is requiring every program have preceptors available for each and every student.  Too many programs have put that responsibility on the student, which, as you can imagine, creates an abundance of problems.  This isn't going to change over night, and the NCSBN is urging NP students to report these programs to CCNE if they are not providing preceptors.  Certain programs, such as Walden, which accepts a new cohort every *month*, is 100% online, and requires the student to find their own preceptors, will most likely be forced to close.  Or at least severely restrict the number of matriculants they accept to a more reasonable/sane number.  The more we can bring NP education back into the realm of reason for these schools, rather than just cash cows, the better. 

That is fantastic, hope that works out for you guys. 

I think that this is a really interesting topic, especially hearing from Kaepora about an actual response from the accrediting body. I think that we have a similar issue brewing with PA schools. I went to school in Boston, and it's obvious that we're reaching a clinical site shortage for PA programs. There's a lot of moral superiority in this thread, but what can we do to curb the explosive growth of PA programs? 

20 hours ago, WestCoastBestCoast said:

I think that this is a really interesting topic, especially hearing from Kaepora about an actual response from the accrediting body. I think that we have a similar issue brewing with PA schools. I went to school in Boston, and it's obvious that we're reaching a clinical site shortage for PA programs. There's a lot of moral superiority in this thread, but what can we do to curb the explosive growth of PA programs? 

I think NP and PA programs are seen by schools as a cash cow.  This problem occurred with NP programs first because so many schools already had RN programs and very little in the way of start up had to occur for these schools of nursing to start NP programs.  So this situation got way out of hand really quickly because very little effort had to be invested.  Whereas for PA programs, a lot of effort and time had to be invested to start a program de novo.  But, it's beginning to happen with them as well.  My area is just absolutely over run by students from 2 medical schools, 5 PA programs and 3 NP programs.  

Archived