How much $ should I ask for GI position in VA

I am going into a second interview and the first one was on the phone.  I know they want to talk about salary and I dont know how much to ask for. 

I currently work in Urgent care and have been for the past 4 years.  I know that this is a Gastroenterologist who is solo and probably does not have much experience with hiring and working with PAs.  He already has an NP.

I currently live in Virginia Beach, VA and make 93,000 to 96,000 per year, Im paid hourly which is $45 per hour.  My health insurance is fully paid, I calculated it to be about $6,500 per year. $2,000 CME.

I want to do GI because I really cant work nights and the pace is killing me! Especially going into flu season.

What is reasonable to ask for because I know he will ask.  My interview is tomorrow evening. Any help is appreciated!

I dont know if this is good or bad but we had a phone interview, then we met in person at a cofee shop, the in person interview was about an hour.  He then asked me to come shadow at his practice next week. Im not sure if hes just unsure about hiring me or stringing me along. I dont know what to think, I have never had such an informal interview process.  My last job hired me based on my resume and then generally dont have much of an interview. 

I get the impression he wants to teach a PA and then have that PA work with him as he grows his practice so he wants someone who will stay several years at least.  Im willing to stay a long time, if Im offered a decent package and benefits and I like the practice.  

I dont know how to proceed with a " come and shadow me " opportunity/3rd interview.

Go and shadow....

In a small practice personalities and compatibilities matter a LOT.  I would be appalled if a job hired me off the resume and didn't do much interviewing.  You need to work well together - this is as much for you as it is for him.  I interviewed with 6 people for my current position, half of which I won't even be working closely with (if at all) but it gave me a better idea of the practice as a whole.  

Without knowing all the details I'm inclined to think the MD kept the second one informal as a way to get to know you and assess how well you'd mesh without the pressure of canned interview question/responses.  A private practice is a different ballgame than an urgent care factory.

Thanks MT2PA. That makes sense. So I agree, hes trying to see if were compatible working together. He seems pretty cool and laid back so maybe thats why it seems really wierd to me. 

Yes my current job is a factory. Thats part of the problem. Factory to hire, factory to see patients. Thats the problem. Thanks. I think GI is the opposite.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived