Volunteering at Summer Camp Infirmary as a PA-C

In high school and college, I used to volunteer as a camp counselor at a non-profit overnight summer camp for economically disadvantaged children. I am about to finish PA school and I'd like to return this summer to volunteer my time and skills in the infirmary. 

The camp director knows me well and wants my help. However, up until now, only physicians and nurses have volunteered. Has anyone here done something similar? Any ideas on what I would need to do in terms of having a supervising physician (on site vs. phone call away), scope of practice, etc.? I wasn't planning to get licensed in the state where the camp is located (AZ) - is that something I'll need to have in order to volunteer there? 

I'm quite sure my duties would not extend beyond basic first aid and dispensing Tylenol/Motrin/previously prescribed medications as scheduled. I'm guessing anything more involved would probably mean a trip into the town's urgent care office for the camper.

Any input on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated! 

In high school and college, I used to volunteer as a camp counselor at a non-profit overnight summer camp for economically disadvantaged children. I am about to finish PA school and I'd like to return this summer to volunteer my time and skills in the infirmary. 
The camp director knows me well and wants my help. However, up until now, only physicians and nurses have volunteered. Has anyone here done something similar? Any ideas on what I would need to do in terms of having a supervising physician (on site vs. phone call away), scope of practice, etc.? I wasn't planning to get licensed in the state where the camp is located (AZ) - is that something I'll need to have in order to volunteer there? 
I'm quite sure my duties would not extend beyond basic first aid and dispensing Tylenol/Motrin/previously prescribed medications as scheduled. I'm guessing anything more involved would probably mean a trip into the town's urgent care office for the camper.
Any input on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated! 

You can volunteer, but not as a PA if you lack a state license or a collaborating physician. If you have some other designation (EMT or paramedic) active in that state, you may be able to practice at that level. Otherwise you can be a knowledgeable civilian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

State laws vary. Many allow PAs to volunteer without a SP. Check yours.

At the risk of sounding paranoid never assume the problems are so simple they can't come back to bite you. See if the people you are volunteering with extend some kind of liability protection to volunteers.

I have volunteered at events where people suddenly dropped dead of a thunderclap MI. Stuff happens. Let me add that if something bad happens you can't suddenly decide you aren't a PA. You have an obligation to act. Failure to do so can put you in a jackpot as fast as acting and having a bad outcome.

I would NEVER volunteer with out a license and with out a CP unless I had it in writing from the board of that state that it was legal

that is called practicing medicine with out a license or a CP

That was my point. You can’t practice medicine. You would be a civilian volunteer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT

relating to physician assistant services performed as volunteer
  care.
         BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
         SECTION 1.  Section 204.2045, Occupations Code, is amended
  to read as follows:
         Sec. 204.2045.  VOLUNTEER CARE AND SERVICES PERFORMED DURING
  DISASTER. (a) The supervision and delegation requirements of this
  chapter and Subtitle B do not apply to medical tasks performed by a
  physician assistant:
               (1)  during a disaster under the state emergency
  management plan adopted under Section 418.042, Government Code;
               (2)  during [, or] a disaster declared by the governor
  or United States government; or
               (3)  as a volunteer for a charitable organization or at
  a public or private event, including a religious event, sporting
  event, community event, or health fair.
         (a-1)  This section does not apply to medical tasks performed
  by a physician assistant for compensation or other remuneration.
         (b)  A physician assistant performing medical tasks under
  this section:
               (1)  is entitled to the immunity from liability
  provided by Section 74.151, Civil Practice and Remedies Code; and
               (2)  is acting within the scope of the physician
  assistant's license for purposes of immunity under Section
  84.004(c), Civil Practice and Remedies Code.
         (c)  A physician assistant may perform tasks described by
  this section:
               (1)  under the supervision of any physician who is also
  performing volunteer work in the disaster, for the charitable
  organization, or at the public or private event; or
               (2)  without the supervision of a physician, if a
  physician is not available to provide supervision.
         (d)  A physician assistant employed by the United States
  government or licensed in another state may perform medical tasks
  in this state in circumstances described by Subsection (a) without
  holding a license in this state.
         SECTION 2.  Section 204.2045, Occupations Code, as amended
  by this Act, applies only to services performed on or after the
  effective date of this Act. Services performed before that date are
  governed by the law in effect on the date the services were
  performed, and the former law is continued in effect for that
  purpose.
         SECTION 3.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2017.

Sec. 204.2045.  VOLUNTEER CARE AND SERVICES PERFORMED DURING

DISASTER

this is in regards to during a disaster.... not summer camp (which admittedly can turn into a disaster) 

Then at an event, is not for profit, and I don't suspect it would ever hold up as a defense in a bad outcome

nope now way I would do it....

I might show up and and function as a first responder  but that is it

10 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

Does Texas allow a PA to volunteer at a summer camp without a CP/SP and yet have the normal scope practice generally found in primary care? 

I appreciate everyone's input! It sounds like I'll need to discuss this with the AZ state medical board. If they say I need an AZ state license, then that's what I'll do. 

To be clear, I'm not expecting to have the same scope as a PA in primary care while volunteering in this capacity. The physicians that volunteer their time are not always on site - they are present perhaps 1/3 of the time. In fact, most of them are not licensed to practice in AZ. The infirmary is staffed by volunteer RN's 24/7. I understand I am obligated to act if (knock on wood) something disastrous happens (and yes, I will make sure I have liability insurance in place should this occur), but barring extraordinary circumstances, my role would essentially be the same as the camp nurses. Just want to go about this through the proper channels. 

Thanks, y'all! ?

Archived