Class of 2013 - The facts should not be ignored.

Fact: 72 students entered Chatham’s PAprogram in August, 2009. (Yes, 72, not71 as laramos has stated).

Fact: only46 students from this class passedthe PANCE on the 1st attempt.

Fact: The national average is typically 90% or higher. http://web1.desales.edu/default.aspx?pageid=4278

Fact: The director ofthe program has now stepped down.

Fact: The program’s assistant director previously gavenotice that she was leaving at the end of this month.

This entire situation sucks. It’s difficult enough for current students of this program to keep up witha program that covers in 9 months what most programs cover in 12-15 months. Adding this drama to your plate is not fair,but it’s happening. You are owed an apology for its impact on your class. But, pahelper is not the individual who owesyour class that apology.

Robertforest’s post on 9/18/11 titled “caveat emptor” was acry for change. It was from a 2011graduate of your program. Here are acouple of the legitimate points he/she makes.

It iswith strong belief that I state this institution cares about their PANCEpassing rate and the image of the institution more than actuallyteaching their students.”

“Ipersonally would have loved it if there was someone who said this to me. It was2 years of pure hell, and if I could go back in time and go to another program whereI really felt competent in medicine I would have done this without anyhesitation.”

Everyone posting about this situation understands the benefitsof PBL and self-directed-learning. Butif you can’t look at the statistics at the top of this page and wonder whatwent wrong; and ask - Are there ways to improve the program so futurestudents are given the best opportunity to 1) stay in the program, 2) graduate,3) pass the PANCE and 4) feel they are competent to practice medicine? I hope the answer is yes.

Nobody wants to see Chatham’s PA program destroyed. But it can’t be ignored that they failed intheir job and that failure had devastating impact on the lives of too many ofthose 72 students.

I believe the majority of current and former students whoknow Carl Garrubba believe he is fully capable and will do his best to turn theprogram around. I wish him the best.

• 1 month later...

I appologize the post is difficult to read. I originally wrote it in a Word document then cut/pasted it into PA forum, which unexpectedly changed the formatting, thus the lack of spaces, etc.

The post refers to facts surrounding Chatham's pending appeal of ARC-PAs recent decision to place them on probationary accreditation. I only referenced the DeSales link as a source for 1st time national pass rates for the PANCE.

As for your decision on which school to attend UMDNJ or DeSalles. I'd lean toward DeSalles. They seem to have a good record for preparing their students for the PANCE.

I looked at UMDNJ's curriculum, and I'm not convinced the extra year is warranted. Their 1st year Fall semester is focussed on reviewing upper level science courses which you have probably already taken, i.e. Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, etc.

If your decision was between a 27 month PA program and a 24 month program, I'd lean toward the extra time, but I don't see the value in UMDNJ's extended curriculum.

Good luck with your decision!

Archived