sameenafarhen

U.S. Career Institute Medical Assistant Program: Is It Worth It?

Hi everybody,

I am a current Pre-PA student and I have a couple of questions about online medical assistant courses. The course I am talking about in particular is U.S. Career Institute's Medical Assistant program. I came across this course and I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with this company, and if you have, how did you like it? This course is a lot cheaper than other courses in the area I live in (Bay Area), and seems like a good deal for the price. (My local CC is teaching a medical assistant course for over $2500 while this website charges about $1240 for the whole course plus textbooks) This program also has a 9.3 out of 10 star rating on Trustpilot, and everybody seems to be raving about it online.  Another reason why I am interested in this program is because it has very flexible coursework which is great for my busy schedule. I would really appreciate it if somebody can advise me regarding this website, as I am still very new to the PA and medical world. 

Thank you in advance! ?

Sameena

I went through USCI for the medical school and it has its pros and cons. It is a very easy program. I completed it in less than a month and that was going slow. You could easily decide to crank this out in a weekend and have no problems doing so. It does a fairly good job at presenting material, especially if you have experience in the medical field and just need to get a certification. 

The problem with this program is that it does not go very in depth with hematology or EKGs, both of which are big parts of the certifying exam. 

Now on to the exam. Because this program does not offer an externship, you are only allowed to sit for the CCMA Exam (Certified Clinical Medical Assistant). This is a nationally recognized certification but not every employer will accept it. Where I am from, the big hospital systems and all of their offices would not accept the certification. However, I was able to get some amazing experience at two different urgent cares with the experience.

Obviously you dont get any hands on experience during the training, so the hardest part is trying to find a way to learn the clinical skills. I was lucky to have a job already in the medical field and some of the nurses trained me on the clinical skills. Also I took a job at a larger urgent care that put all of its employees through training which helped alot. 

Thank you for the reply! 

As for the clinical experience, I have completed roughly 500 hours while volunteering as a medical assistant at a pediatricians office. I was able to take vitals, assist in bandaging and wound care, and load shots for the other staff to give. The doctor also allowed me to train with her medical students while she taught them how to administer vaccines on a dummy arm.

The only problem was that I was not able to administer the shots, and I want to experience a field outside of pediatrics (work at a hospital or a large out patient clinic, for which I need a certification). Do you think my previous experience can help me in any way when it comes to landing a job in the bigger clinics, or would you recommend taking another medical assisting course which provides externships?

Also, are you aware of any other online program that offers a medical assistant externship and which goes in-depth on hematology and EKGs?

Once again, I really appreciate your reply

I am not aware of any other programs that would offer you an externship. I dont know of school that would send you out to train in a clinic having never evaluated your clinical skills beforehand. With that being said, I think that having your certification should open plenty of doors, it did for me. At least in my state, there is no requirement for a medical assistant be certified. So a lot of practices, especially private ones and urgent cares will hire non-certified medical assistants and train them. So having your certification could help land you a job where they intend on training you anyways. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By sacharle
      There is an awesome organization called ThePAC (Physician Assistants of Color) that holds diversity events in multiple cities across the U.S. The next one will be in Detroit, Michigan on September 28, 2019. The event is a great opportunity for all three levels of the profession! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357
      Pre-PAs get to talk directly to program directors from the local/surrounding region (this event will have 7), and get specific advice about their application profile from programs directly as well as experienced PA students and PA-Cs. 
      PA-S  and PA-C get to fraternize and network with each other as well as tap into resources such as job recruiters, financial advisors, and transition to practice information. 
      There are always lots of giveaways such as medical equipment, PANCE/PANRE prep, discounts on scrub companies, and more. 
      This event is open to any and everyone no matter the race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. 
      If you cannot attend this event, give them a follow on IG @thepa.c or FB 'Physician Assistants of Color' so you can get notified of when the next event/location will be. 

• By 57WestDerm
      * DERMATOLOGY MEDICAL ASSISTANT - MIDTOWN WEST* 
      Welcoming, friendly and motivated individual for Medical Assistant position in our small, established Midtown West Dermatology practice. We are interested ONLY in applicants who planning a future career as a Physician Assistant - and want to gain experience in the medical field before applying to graduate school. 
      This is a great way to gain experience, get shadowing hours & boost your CV before applying to this highly competitive field! Most of our prior Medical Assistants have gone on to attend various prestigious PA programs after completing this internship. 
      REQUIREMENTS:
      We would need a commitment or 1.5-2 years minimum. You would be working closely with Carrie Doolan, RPA-C and Dr. Alan Glass, who have more than 20 years professional experience. 
      APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS THE FOLLOWING: 
      Reliability, honesty and compassion. 
      Flexibility with schedule: (jobs are full time, 5 days a week including several evenings but NO weekends). 
      Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. 
      Knowledge of EMR or at least tech savvy (this is a paperless office - iPad-based). 
      Prior experience in Dermatology a plus
      RESPONSIBILITIES: 
      Promoting a peaceful, professional atmosphere. 
      Triaging patients and maintaining flow from waiting area to exam rooms. 
      Respecting patient privacy and compliancy with HIPPA. 
      Inspecting exam rooms before and after each patient and restocking supplies. 
      Prepping and maintaining clean treatment rooms to OSHA standards. 
      In depth knowledge of pre and post care treatment to educate patients, 
      Assisting providers with medical, surgical and cosmetic procedures. 
      Processing biopsies and cultures, logging data accordingly and interacting with laboratory. 
      Performing inventory of supplies and equipment and communicating needs for ordering. 
      Sterilizing equipment using autoclave. 
      Cross training with front desk staff for emergency coverage. 
      Willingness to learn common Dermatology language and treatments to effectively communicate with providers, patients and pharmacy staff. 
      Attending mandatory monthly meetings and quarterly outings to provide feedback, make suggestions for improvements and promote a cohesive team environment. 

INTERESTED? Email your resume & questions to 57WestDerm@icloud.com
    • By Majesticu
      Hey guys,
      I'm currently considering applying next year and was wondering if anyone could share their stats for getting into nova or any other school in florida, especially how many pce hours, since they don't seem to require it but I'm not sure how many most applicants have.
    • By futurepa777
      Hi,
      I am a dec 2018 grad board certified with a MA license, but having a lot of difficulty finding a job due to the "3-5 years experience" clause and the fact that many places are now giving priority to NP.
      A few months back family members had suggested I get a job as an MA but I dismissed the idea as I wanted to spend more time looking for a PA position and didn't think I would be hired as one without having completed a formal Medical Assisting program. Now over 6 months post graduation with no job offers and loan payments coming in, a few medical professionals have now mentioned the idea again.
      So before I start applying I wanted to see if any one has done this or knows if it is allowed? The other hurdle of course would be if the employer would hire knowing that  I would be looking for a PA position... thoughts?
    • By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More