Moving to NC from NY

Hi all,

I am currently an Emergency Medicine PA in Brooklyn and Long Island; and have been in Practice for 2 years. My husband is a also a PA; he does Internal Medicine and Peds Primary care. 

We’re considering leaving NY to move to NC as we’ve heard it’s a very PA friendly state, many nice areas for young families, lower cost of living, bigger and more luxurious homes for less money when compared to NY’s market, and better quality of life. We’ve considered cities like Charlotte and Raleigh. 

Is anyone here a PA in NC and willing to shed some light on what it’s like being a PA in NC? Salary for an ED and IM PA? Job market? Life in NC for young professionals with potential to start a family? 

Thanks so much for all your inputs!

Best,

TJL 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I made a similar move. Long Island to Charlotte. I was previously working in EM in NYC  like you. Charlotte is a great place to raise kids. Homes and property tax sure are cheaper. Atrium health is the monopoly health care system with a lesser extent novant. The pay is fine in Charlotte. Similar to NYC. Not everything is cheaper. With atrium you get a high deductible health plan as opposed to a co pay which is what I had in NY so if your planning on having kids it would be prudent to contribute to a HSA. Overall we are happy we made the move

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...