Category II CME

Quick question, does anyone know if doing a medical mission trip (seeing 150-200 patients a day for a week in Haiti) would qualify as Cat. II CME? NCCPA just gives the following as a description: Category II CME is any medically related activity that enhances the role of a PA (including journal reading)

It's a little vague. Anyone have experience with this? There is orientation and training on the various diseases we might encounter while there, etc. So I think it could count, but not sure.

I'm inclined to think no - it isn't really different than seeing patients in any other underserved setting.

Fastest way to rack up CME II hours is to serve as a clinical preceptor. Our profession badly needs them...

Do we get hour for hour return?

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

Do we get hour for hour return?

Yes ... I get a certificate listing 160 Cat II CME hrs every month from Sep-June from our local program since I usually take 2 students per month for "behavioral medicine" in a involuntary Inpatient Psych unit during this time.

This basically equates to 1600 hrs of Cat II CME per yr for me.. but doesn't really matter after the first 50 hrs.

7-8 hrs 4 days/week & ~4 hrs on friday, but it seems excessive to put in for the whole time they are there.

you are responsible for them their entire shift, claim all the hrs....

so if talking to colleagues about medicine counts as cat 2 cme, how about posting on the pa forum?...:)

You only need 50 hours a cycle, so I would not go crazy. You probably see some patients without the student being involved. It is reasonable to subtract that time. With the speed students work at, I used to frog hop them to about every third patient. I would see a couple routine patients, then one patient in detail with the student, and then jump them two rooms ahead again...

Just list reading medical journals for 1hr/wk for a year. You get credit instantly when you log them, and a green check mark.

Well I definitely do plenty of reading but how do you prove that if audited?

I'll definitely consider being a preceptor in the near future...about to hit the 1 year mark at my first job as a PA in May.

Well I definitely do plenty of reading but how do you prove that if audited?

You don't have to prove Cat II... as a matter of fact, when logging CMEs on the NCCPA website, it clearly explains that Cat IIs by definition does NOT require "proof." So If you get audited... they will only be looking at your Cat I CMEs.

Q. How many Category II credits can I count for precepting

PA students? Students from other professions? What about journal reading?

A. There are no maximums on the number of hours that you can

earn for any Category II activity. All Category II credits are earned on an

hour-for-hour basis.

Q. Can I earn Category II credits for lobbying activities on

behalf of the PA profession?

A. Yes.

Q. Can I earn CME credit for any type of committee work

performed for PA or other healthcare organizations?

A. Category II CME is any medically related activity that

enhances the role of a PA (including journal reading). If you serve on

committees at the local, state or national level that meet those qualifications,

you may log the time you spend on committee work for Category II credit.

Q. How long do I need to keep my Category I CME

documentation?

A. You should keep your Category I CME documentation for

your current CME cycle and your last CME cycle. For example, if you are

currently on a 2010-2012 CME cycle you would need to keep that documentation and

the 2008-2010 CME cycle documentation. We do not audit Category II CME. This is

the policy for NCCPA, not the state medical boards. You will need to check with

your state medical board regarding their auditing requirements.

Archived