MCPHS-Manch: Application Cycle 2018-2019

41 minutes ago, KMLight said:

Has anyone applied to MCPHS with pre-reqs outstanding? Also, how many Patient care hours? Going to apply this week with 500 hours as a MA and 4/6 pre-reqs done 

wondering if applying is a waste of time? 

Thank you! 

Hey! I applied with 4/6 pre-req done and I have about 670hrs. I checked the application portal and I am currently waitlisted for an interview. 

You should still apply. Best of luck! 

@avivithanks for your reply! 

My PCE is MA but wasn’t ‘direct MA’ 

more supporting nurses in transplant - ordering labs, etc... but I also have 500 volunteer hours at a detox - working 1:1 with patients... I have 10+ years in IT Healthcare at MMC - im hoping that helps. I can’t hit ‘apply’ until I do one more shadow, which is 2/20, I hope im not too late in the application cycle! Hope you get an interview! 

45 minutes ago, KMLight said:

@avivithanks for your reply! 

My PCE is MA but wasn’t ‘direct MA’ 

more supporting nurses in transplant - ordering labs, etc... but I also have 500 volunteer hours at a detox - working 1:1 with patients... I have 10+ years in IT Healthcare at MMC - im hoping that helps. I can’t hit ‘apply’ until I do one more shadow, which is 2/20, I hope im not too late in the application cycle! Hope you get an interview! 

I see. But Don’t forget the caspa deadline. They have to review before sending your application to the different schools. I know the deadline for MCPHS is 03/01. 

5 hours ago, KMLight said:

@AES8987hi there! Congrats on interview! 

Im not submitting my application until 2/20. I may not apply for I have 3/6 outstanding pre-reqs. I’m curious if you have pre-reqs outstanding? How many PCE? T you! Keri

Hi Keri! I have all prereqs completed except the microbiology lab which I will be finished with in May. I applied with 2500 hours as a CNA hope that helps!

I see a lot of “should I apply?” and “will I get in?” posts in every school forum I’m in and they’re sometimes very helpful, so here are my stats that got me waitlisted AFTER the interview (so recognize that maybe I had a bad interview!! I don’t think it was “bad” but I think it was average).

cGPA: 3.59

sGPA: 3.61

PCE: 560 at time of interview, will have over 2,000 by time of matriculation. I gained this by being a nursing assistant working with/caring for special needs/handicapped children - muscular dystrophy, autism, seizure disorders, cerebral palsy, diabetes... you name it 

all of my prerequisite courses were done (I graduated with my B.S in May 2017)

shadowing: over 100 hours in the emergency department 

Also, I live in NH which I have heard is an advantage but I don’t know that for sure lol 

any questions just ask or private message me!! 

Edited by Kes1123

@Kes1123 

thanks for posting 

so, did you get in it WL? 

Based on all the comments here, applying with 4/6, really 3/6, pre-reqs outstanding, 800 PCE as a back office MA, with an undergrad gpa of a 3.12 from 1998, with a BS in MIS, it’s not looking good. 

I got into an ABSN program- I may do that, starts in May, is 4 f/t semesters, work as a RN for PCE, and finish up pre-reqs at that time. I can’t take pre-reqs while enrolled in15-18 credits of an accelerated nursing program... this path, I can apply to MCPHS in 2021, with 1000 hours as a RN - it’s a lot more school but I can always fall back on NP.  Or, I do CNA work now- take prerequisites summer/fall, apply in 20.... 

either way, I’m not going to apply this year... I appreciate all the responses 

31 minutes ago, KMLight said:

@Kes1123 

thanks for posting 

so, did you get in it WL? 

Based on all the comments here, applying with 4/6, really 3/6, pre-reqs outstanding, 800 PCE as a back office MA, with an undergrad gpa of a 3.12 from 1998, with a BS in MIS, it’s not looking good. 

I got into an ABSN program- I may do that, starts in May, is 4 f/t semesters, work as a RN for PCE, and finish up pre-reqs at that time. I can’t take pre-reqs while enrolled in15-18 credits of an accelerated nursing program... this path, I can apply to MCPHS in 2021, with 1000 hours as a RN - it’s a lot more school but I can always fall back on NP.  Or, I do CNA work now- take prerequisites summer/fall, apply in 20.... 

either way, I’m not going to apply this year... I appreciate all the responses 

I was actually really shocked at the amount of people I’ve heard that were RNs for their PCE. I think if you’re going to apply to PA school in the end anyways, you should definitely become a nursing assistant or something equivalent instead! I did an 10 week long course (just weekends) and then was able to get a job right away. Obviously the pay between an NA and a RN are very different, but so is the $$$$ for the credentials! Either way, best of luck!! I might be re-applying next year, but I knew that might happen.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest klj13
1 hour ago, Rlaliberte said:

Has anyone who interviewed 2/21 heard anything back yet?!

Nothing yet here, I was in the 8 am group. Feeling super anxious! 

Guest klj13
3 hours ago, Kes1123 said:

I believe the school is on Spring Break so I don't know if any decisions will be released until after this week unfortunately 😞

I was thinking that too but I know for winter break they sent us an email admissions office was closed but I never got one for spring break so I was hoping it wasn’t the case😂  the waiting game is so awful! 

Hi everyone,

Happy I found this page! I applied Feb 11th. I got an interview spot for the 12:30, March 28th! Very nervous as well. Would love a heads up on how the interview is run and what I should expect if anyone has any advice:) 

For people wondering:

GPA: 3.5

PCE: At time of applying it was around 1600hrs as a MA for a dermatology office, doing normal MA duties, but also as first assistant in Mohs surgery and excisions.

All prereqs completed, around 150 shadowing hrs.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:35 AM, Atierney3 said:

Hi everyone,

Happy I found this page! I applied Feb 11th. I got an interview spot for the 12:30, March 28th! Very nervous as well. Would love a heads up on how the interview is run and what I should expect if anyone has any advice:) 

For people wondering:

GPA: 3.5

PCE: At time of applying it was around 1600hrs as a MA for a dermatology office, doing normal MA duties, but also as first assistant in Mohs surgery and excisions.

All prereqs completed, around 150 shadowing hrs.

So earlier in the feed I know others have posted with a  bit more detail, but essentially you will show up, hear a presentation about the program, and in no specific order have a faculty interview, group activity, chat with current students, then tour the facilities. The entire day was pretty laid back! Good luck! I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest klj13
12 minutes ago, Rlaliberte said:

I wonder if the class is already full at this point

I was thinking that too but I’m surprised they’re having another interview day if that was the case