MCPHS-Manch: Application Cycle 2018-2019

On 11/6/2018 at 9:19 AM, Jazz2018 said:

Accepted!

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats and the interview details, like was it a group or an individual one-on-one? The kind of questions they focused on? I have an interview on 12/18/18 at 08:00 am. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

@PRT11 Hi! I'm not sure how to reply to your post, so hopefully tagging you works. The interview day was extremely laid back. I had REALLY stressed about it, and while I'm glad I prepared, there wasn't much to stress about. When you first get there, everyone meets in one room and you're given a schedule for the day. We had three groups, so depending on your group, you either went to your one on one interview, met with current students, or did the group activity. 

I was one of the lucky ones that had their interview first (I assume this is the most stressful part for everyone). They have a bunch of professors that interview, so each of us in the smaller groups met with a different person and we all went into our respective rooms at the same time. I had practiced a lot of questions I thought may arise, and didn't get asked one of them :). It actually ended up being for the best though, because that made it so my answers were more organic. They really do just want to get to know you. I know others mentioned they had a lot of moral/scenario questions in their interview (your boss tells you to do something you know is wrong, what do you do), but I didn't have as many of these. I *think* that part probably only lasted 20-30 mins? My biggest struggle is always thinking of questions to ask them. I did a stupid amount of research on the program, so I felt like I already had my questions answered. Obviously make sure you come prepared with a few.

The group part was just to make sure you can work with others. Ours wasn't knowledge based at all, and was actually a pretty fun exercise. Don't be a jerk, and make sure you help the group in a constructive manner and you'll be completely fine.

I toured the campus before my interview, so I met with the students on a previous occasion. They're super nice and helpful and you can ask them anything.

We toured around campus  the day of as well. 

I hope this helps! If you're anything like me, this has been my dream for a really long time. I doubted myself a looooooot in this process, but I tried to go in with the mindset that all the hard work I put in so far earned me a spot to let me convince them why I would be a good fit. Just getting an interview is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself! Lastly,  it helped to remember that at least one person on the admissions committee wanted me to be there. They don't want to waste their time, so if they didn't think you were a good fit, you wouldn't be invited. 

Good luck! 
Zoe

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hopefullypazo said:

@PRT11 Hi! I'm not sure how to reply to your post, so hopefully tagging you works. The interview day was extremely laid back. I had REALLY stressed about it, and while I'm glad I prepared, there wasn't much to stress about. When you first get there, everyone meets in one room and you're given a schedule for the day. We had three groups, so depending on your group, you either went to your one on one interview, met with current students, or did the group activity. 

I was one of the lucky ones that had their interview first (I assume this is the most stressful part for everyone). They have a bunch of professors that interview, so each of us in the smaller groups met with a different person and we all went into our respective rooms at the same time. I had practiced a lot of questions I thought may arise, and didn't get asked one of them :). It actually ended up being for the best though, because that made it so my answers were more organic. They really do just want to get to know you. I know others mentioned they had a lot of moral/scenario questions in their interview (your boss tells you to do something you know is wrong, what do you do), but I didn't have as many of these. I *think* that part probably only lasted 20-30 mins? My biggest struggle is always thinking of questions to ask them. I did a stupid amount of research on the program, so I felt like I already had my questions answered. Obviously make sure you come prepared with a few.

The group part was just to make sure you can work with others. Ours wasn't knowledge based at all, and was actually a pretty fun exercise. Don't be a jerk, and make sure you help the group in a constructive manner and you'll be completely fine.

I toured the campus before my interview, so I met with the students on a previous occasion. They're super nice and helpful and you can ask them anything.

We toured around campus  the day of as well. 

I hope this helps! If you're anything like me, this has been my dream for a really long time. I doubted myself a looooooot in this process, but I tried to go in with the mindset that all the hard work I put in so far earned me a spot to let me convince them why I would be a good fit. Just getting an interview is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself! Lastly,  it helped to remember that at least one person on the admissions committee wanted me to be there. They don't want to waste their time, so if they didn't think you were a good fit, you wouldn't be invited. 

Good luck! 
Zoe

Thank you very much! This is sooooooo sooo helpful! Really appreciate all the details shared!

I too have been trying to get accepted in PA program for the last 3 years but was only applying to one school. I am an international candidate so I had to repeat all my pre-reqs to be able to apply to other programs out of state. I live in Oklahoma, have fairly OK GPA, lots of patient and health care experience, lots of volunteering and shadowing hours. I have been interviewed before in Oklahoma program, but since this is my first time to apply out of state I am slightly tensed.

What freaks me out is the group activity. Although I am not an introvert kind of a person, I am tensed if it is something technical that I may not know. Sometimes I do feel out of place in a group especially about things that are common here but I am unaware of it.

I hope I do have the interview first so I could concentrate on other activities later. Did they also ask you to write something? Like an on-site essay or something? If yes, what did they ask you to write on?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @PRT11! Sorry for the delay on this response. I can definitely understand being nervous about something in a group setting if you're not originally from here. That must be tough! I'm not sure what they'll have for your "group assignment", but I can tell you that you wouldn't have had an issue at all with ours. Strangely we didn't have a writing component. I was pretty worried about that and had thought about all the possible questions they may ask us. Ha, turns out that was a whole lot of stress for no reason! One thing I forgot to mention, they give you a questionnaire about your personality and generally about what you think/or would do in certain scenarios. I assume they want to make sure they have good group dynamics with everyone they choose. I can't remember the questions exactly, but I answered super honestly. Haha even if some of my personality traits may not be perfect, I'd rather have them choose me for me! Who knows if they take a lot of consideration into your answers for that, but it was the one part of the day I forgot to mention. Just a couple weeks away for you now!

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, CHRNZ97581 said:

I was invited to interview and chose the January 17th pm session. Is anyone else interviewing that day? I would love to connect and maybe meet up beforehand!

I am! Haven't officially been invited through email and haven't picked a date on the portal yet, but they called me inviting me for an interview and said that there were still slots available for 1/17.

2 hours ago, Jlau22 said:

I am! Haven't officially been invited through email and haven't picked a date on the portal yet, but they called me inviting me for an interview and said that there were still slots available for 1/17.

🙂

I'm flying in the evening of the 15th. I think it would be fun to meet up with anyone who is interviewing that day ahead of time. Let me know if you're interested!

40 minutes ago, CHRNZ97581 said:

🙂

I'm flying in the evening of the 15th. I think it would be fun to meet up with anyone who is interviewing that day ahead of time. Let me know if you're interested!

What time is your interview? Still waiting to select an interview time. Hoping the interview isn't too early. I'm considering driving there and back home the same day (about an hour and 15 each way without traffic that is). I'll let you know when I receive the email and select the time! I'd be down to meet up. Did you book a hotel yet? Hotels in Manchester seem kind of pricey, but if I go that route, I'd drive up the 16th and stay somewhere the night before the interview.

The pm session interview starts at 12:30. I did book a hotel,  I'll be at Holiday Inn and Suites - Manchester Airport. It was around $100/night. I'm actually staying for close to a week so I can explore the town a little. Hoping to get a good idea of the area, since I'll be moving from the west coast if I get accepted. That's nice you don't have too far to travel. 

Edited by CHRNZ97581

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, CHRNZ97581 said:

The pm session interview starts at 12:30. I did book a hotel,  I'll be at Holiday Inn and Suites - Manchester Airport. It was around $100/night. I'm actually staying for close to a week so I can explore the town a little. Hoping to get a good idea of the area, since I'll be moving from the west coast if I get accepted. That's nice you don't have too far to travel. 

Received my interview invite via email today. I'm scheduled for the 8am one, since that is the only time slot left. I'm thinking of driving there the day of the interview (meaning leaving my house at 5am if I want to avoid traffic). If you'd like, we can meet up after my interview and can update you on how things went! Hoping the set up is similar to the Boston one, which was laid-back.

16 minutes ago, CHRNZ97581 said:

If you're staying that night in Manchester that might work.  I should be done by around 5pm. 🙂

I would drive home eventually that same night. Would you be down to meet up after my interview/before yours? At the Boston interview, the morning and afternoon people were all in the same room and lunch was provided while they welcomed us and showed a powerpoint. (Only difference between them was that the morning people had already toured/interviewed and the first thing the afternoon people did was go straight to lunch (followed by tours/interviews). Not sure how long I'll end up staying, but would like to explore the town a bit!

I was accepted! Interviewed on 11/19/18 in the 8 am group. I received an email yesterday notifying me that my admissions status had been updated (in my portal).

Best of luck to all of you! This is my second admissions cycle, so I understand how overwhelmingly discouraging all of those denial emails can be -- stay positive!! Trust the process! When the time is right, all your hard work WILL pay off! ❤️ 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, zoek33 said:

I was accepted! Interviewed on 11/19/18 in the 8 am group. I received an email yesterday notifying me that my admissions status had been updated (in my portal).

Best of luck to all of you! This is my second admissions cycle, so I understand how overwhelmingly discouraging all of those denial emails can be -- stay positive!! Trust the process! When the time is right, all your hard work WILL pay off! ❤️ 

Congrats! That is so exciting, you have earned this!!! I interviewed yesterday and am going to continue to play the waiting game lol