A warning and example from Pennsylvania

I just got off the phone with probably one of the top recruiting forms for Ortho in the country ... I was discussing relocating to Vermont and we started talking about the job market in PA.

He said he had multiple clients in PA who refused to start anyone with less than 3 -5 years experience more than 78 to 80 K to start. These areas werent Philly or Pitt, but Harrisburg lanc and York aren't exactly cheap to live in within call distance.

He said he's been recruiting for 20 plus years and PA has completely screwed PA-Cs.  He said he can get new hrads 30 k more in almost any other state . He said to get out of PA ASAP it's going to get worse 

PA has 20 some PA schools. Take notice, we need to lobby the NCCPA to cut down or slow schools being accredited

Pennsylvania sucks for pay.  In and around Pittsburgh alone there's Pitt, Chatham, Seton Hill, Duquesne, St. Francis, Slippery Rock, and Lock Haven.  There are so many new grad PAs that will accept a $60,000 salary with a smile that it has made the entire market sh*t - even for those APPs with experience.  I made more as a nurse with just a couple years of experience than what a new grad PA at UPMC will make.  

49 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

I went to school in PA > 20 years ago. was true then as well.

states to avoid if you want to be treated well, respected, and paid appropriately: PA, TN, IN, LA, MS, MO, FL, SC, AR, OH, KY

As I finish up my first year of PA school in South Carolina haha. 

1 hour ago, mooredc said:

there are jobs there, but the pay/scope of practice/autonomy is years behind the more progressive states. A good friend of mine just left a job there out of frustration with the above. 

I've worked in UC in KY, EM multiple sites in Ohio, and about to do EM in IN.  I only partially agree with EMED.  KY has serious scope of practice issues, in particular with respect to prescribing any scheduled meds (not just opiates).  However, 3 years ago I was making $55/hour as 1099 doing UC PT.  That's not bad.  In Ohio across 3 EM jobs I make $65, $70, and $75/hour - all as W2.  There are some EM issues: can't do procedural sedations, can't pronounce, doc required to be onsite for all ED's.  Still learning IN's  quirks, but making $85/hr as PT W2.  So, compensation, especially vs COL really isn't bad.

33 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

there are jobs there, but the pay/scope of practice/autonomy is years behind the more progressive states. A good friend of mine just left a job there out of frustration with the above. 

That’s disappointing as SC (Myrtle Beach area) would be my prime choice to practice once I’m finished. 

6 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I've worked in UC in KY, EM multiple sites in Ohio, and about to do EM in IN.  I only partially agree with EMED.  KY has serious scope of practice issues, in particular with respect to prescribing any scheduled meds (not just opiates).  However, 3 years ago I was making $55/hour as 1099 doing UC PT.  That's not bad.  In Ohio across 3 EM jobs I make $65, $70, and $75/hour - all as W2.  There are some EM issues: can't do procedural sedations, can't pronounce, doc required to be onsite for all ED's.  Still learning IN's  quirks, but making $85/hr as PT W2.  So, compensation, especially vs COL really isn't bad.

fair enough. not a fan of the underlined. 

4 minutes ago, medic1210 said:

That’s disappointing as SC (Myrtle Beach area) would be my prime choice to practice once I’m finished. 

if you know of a particular facility or group that treats PAs well I wouldn't rule it out just because of location. 

12 hours ago, mooredc said:

yeah but at least you have Myrtle Beach.  I go to the NCAPA conference there every year. Its decent, has 2 really great presenters every year, but mostly go for the free stay while I visit broadway at the beach

12 hours ago, Kaepora said:

Pennsylvania sucks for pay.  In and around Pittsburgh alone there's Pitt, Chatham, Seton Hill, Duquesne, St. Francis, Slippery Rock, and Lock Haven.  There are so many new grad PAs that will accept a $60,000 salary with a smile that it has made the entire market sh*t - even for those APPs with experience.  I made more as a nurse with just a couple years of experience than what a new grad PA at UPMC will make.  

PA has completely devastated the states market, the state society should be ashamed....Its starting to leach out into surrounding states as well

2 hours ago, BruceBanner said:

I think I know what firm you are talking about OP. I used them prior to graduating. 

PA is the most saturated state in the union, if I'm not mistaken, just based on number of schools relative to population.

it is. I think your going to see serious impacts in Jersey, NYC and MD as well in the near future. Lock Haven has 3 PA classes every year alone its completely bonkers

On 8/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, EMEDPA said:

states to avoid if you want to be treated well, respected, and paid appropriately: PA, TN, IN, LA, MS, MO, FL, SC, AR, OH, KY

Definitely agree. Have heard horrible things about PA, FL, and KY.

8 hours ago, ravenspac said:

it is. I think your going to see serious impacts in Jersey, NYC and MD as well in the near future. Lock Haven has 3 PA classes every year alone its completely bonkers

Idk NY has had quite a few schools for a while and its job market is thriving right now. Several new grads have had multiple job offers >105k. You're right though we have to see how the market is in 5+ years. 

Specialty posting in TN wanted me to work 1 yr as an RN before they would pay/work me as a PA.  NPs obviously didn't have to (if they had previous RN experience).  I'm not a nurse....didn't even bother applying because I would never agree to that.

If you applied to a school in one of those avoided states are you able to get your license in another state when graduation comes around? 

I don’t know very much about other states, but I agree that Florida is terrible.

I love living here, and I cannot move at this time, or probably ever due to my husband’s career and children’s school, my parents moved here to be with us. This is our home, and we cannot move, but my job prospects are pretty terrible.

My current/first job and pay is laughably bad. I had to take it for experience. After 9 months of looking, without a job, I was desperate.

Every place is asking for 3-5 years experience. I’m 4 months in to this job. I’m going to continue to look and apply for something better.

Archived