IPAP

For those that have been through the military IPAP program, can you please provide some helpful tips/guidance for successfully passing the course?

1. How did you typically study for exams? What worked for you?

2. Did you feel that testing was fair and based off of the covered material?

3. What preparation did you do prior to attending the program?

4. As far as attrition goes, why do you feel that some are not successful? For what reasons?

5. Is the program doable?

Any guidance is appreciated! 

1. Only in my 3rd semester, but so far most of my studying has been reading/re-reading powerpoint slides, making charts, re-writing notes out on the giant whiteboard I hung in my office, reading textbooks if I did not understand something in the powerpoint slides, and in general, putting in the time. We have 2 exams per week, and for me, each one requires between 15-50 hours of studying depending on the difficulty of the material. I would say I average about 20-25 hours of studying per exam. With that amount of work, I have maintained all A's, so far.

2. Testing is pretty fair. That said, most of the time if someone else thought a question was unfair, chances are they did not think too critically about their answer. If a question is truly unreasonable or was not covered, it is reviewed by the faculty, and test scores are adjusted appropriately.

3. Spent time with family

4. Most who are not successful seem to be those who do the usual things that unsuccessful people do in life (show up late, make excuses, blame others, etc.). However, some find themselves in very unfortunate family situations, and it is their home-life that takes a toll. So a good piece of advice is take care of any baggage you can control before school starts, and remember that life will still happen while you're here.

5. Very doable, just try not to get distracted like I am right now perusing the physicianassistantforum, again...dammit. 

Archived