Hospital PA clinical ladder

Looking for help from other PAs at hospital/systems that have established a “PA clinical ladder” to get some ideas.  

I’m at a large metropolitan hospital system that is looking to initiate a PA clinical ladder system wide.

What does that mean?  So far I take it to mean: veteran PAs not interested in management seeking further challenges and recognition for advanced clinical knowledge with the goal to act as “experts”, help standardize PA knowledge (give lectures etc), help new grads, etc.  

If you have a system at your hospital or health care system, how is it employed?  What are the requirements (obviously tied to some metric, years, certifications)? What are their responsibilities?  Any extra compensation?  Any noticeable improvement in PA staff morale, retention, etc?  Any proof of improved patient care through any data?  

At this point there is a lot of talk at the committee level and throwing around ideas        .

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated.  

Putting one in our hosptial based on nursing ladder because we've hired NPs as the managers of all pas and nps. It's Bs like participating in clinical trials, working on doctorate etc. None of it is based on anything but degree escalation and it's a giant Fu to pa and nps who just want to do clinical work 

• Upvote 1

Looking for help from other PAs at hospital/systems that have established a “PA clinical ladder” to get some ideas.  
I’m at a large metropolitan hospital system that is looking to initiate a PA clinical ladder system wide.
What does that mean?  So far I take it to mean: veteran PAs not interested in management seeking further challenges and recognition for advanced clinical knowledge with the goal to act as “experts”, help standardize PA knowledge (give lectures etc), help new grads, etc.  
If you have a system at your hospital or health care system, how is it employed?  What are the requirements (obviously tied to some metric, years, certifications)? What are their responsibilities?  Any extra compensation?  Any noticeable improvement in PA staff morale, retention, etc?  Any proof of improved patient care through any data?  
At this point there is a lot of talk at the committee level and throwing around ideas        .
Any ideas/thoughts appreciated.  

I'm back at work tomorrow. Let me see if I can find our organizational chart.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EMNP said:

Medic25, please do share the specifics of this as I want to start one for my hospital as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ours is going to basically be a carbon copy of the University of Maryland model...which basically has flawed and scant data to back it up.

they didnt control for age or length of tenure at hospital

its a degree escalation, nothing more

Our hospital recently formed an APP Council basically to advocate for APPs (PAs, NPs, CNS). Our long term goal is to establish an APP leadership structure. As of today, we do not report to anyone in an 'official capacity'. We have to demand our own annual reviews and therefore our own performance raises to a non-clinician (administrator), who basically signs a our paychecks. Other than our supervising physicians, we have no APP leadership structure or opportunity for professional growth. 

We hope to start the conversation of how to put a structure like that in place. I know other hospitals are moving towards this model - if anyone has any info on how they started up theirs I would greatly appreciate it!! I work in CA so PA advocacy is very rudimentary... our medical staffing is still calling us "allied health" *cringe!*

• 6 months later...

So after half a year, several committees have been formed with the mission to “standardize, engage, professionally develops PAs into leadership, education, research or clinical expert role to promote job satisfaction, retention which will turn into best practice and improved patient outcomes”

If you know of any systems or institutions that have implemented any type of structure (successful or unsuccessful) I would really like to learn from it and how you thought it may or may not have benefitted any APPs   

Thank you in advance. 

We developed our clinical ladder, but still haven't implemented it (waiting for final finance approval, since it could affect salary for over 1300 PAs, NPs, CRNAs and CNMs in our system).  Look at the AAPA Distinguished Fellow application for inspiration; we award points for various achievements such as precepting students, committee leadership, publications, etc.  We also built in a big emphasis on mentorship, with those higher up on the ladder being expected to provide guidance to junior APPs.

Edited by medic25
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody found any literature on this topic?  The only article we found so far:

"Professional Advancement for Advanced Practice Clinicians"

found in JNP, Journal for Nurse Practitioners, Volume 14, Issue 1, January 2018
Authored by: Carmel McComiskey, CPNP-AC/PC, Shari Simone, DNP, CPNP-AC, Deborah Schofield, DNP, ANP-BC, Karen McQuillan, MS, CNS-BC, RN, Brooke Andersen, M

Thanks in advance.