Jump to content

Salary Increase/Boost Approach - Advice Needed


Recommended Posts

I have been working for the same hospital and under the same manager for almost a year; first job after school.

 

In short, I would like to be compensated extra on top of my base pay for being bilingual (Spanish) and using my language continuously when interacting with patients/families. I am certified as an advanced clinical interpreter through this same hospital; basically the same certification hired interpreters have.

 

I could simply call an interpreter when dealing with this patient population and I have in the past, but I have found that the outcomes are better when I’m communicating with the patients directly than using an interpreter. I don’t mind doing this, I actually enjoy it, but I feel that I would like to be compensated for this some how.

 

There is a form I can fill out every time I translate that states that for every 15 minutes of translation I will be compensated 50 cents; this is too much work as I have to include a summary of the interaction and patient information.

 

I need assistance and advice on how to approach my manager or my managers director.

 

Advice and guidance are highly appreciated.

 

Thanks!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply and guidance; I highly appreciate it.

I found out how much the interpreters that work for my hospital make per hour. They start at $17/hr for someone with 1 year experience. I have been an advanced clinical interpreter for my hospital district since I started working here 6 years ago; same certification these interpreters gave.

I guess my approach should be that rather than waiting for an interpreter I can get to it and this will increase patient flow/productivity as well as better patient outcomes because of the one to one communication rather than using an interpreter.

I am just somewhat nervous to approach my manager or director and really need your input to make it flow nicely and not mess it up lol.

Thanks in advance again!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So good start, now you have to decide if it is worth it to push for this increase.  If not, then nothing further needs to be done.

If you do want an increase then you need to decide how much the bilingual ability is worth.  If the interpreters are paid $17/hour, I would calculate how many hours you use your Spanish and then decide how much of a discount do you want to offer your employer - if any.  Does the improved flow/productivity/outcomes warrant a full $17/hour or more?

Example: you use 4 hours of Spanish daily - that is $340/week for interpreter.  You offer 50% discount $170/week (or ~$8,500/year)

Having those numbers and using them as the foundation of your request is the key.  You offer a service and would like to be compensated.  It has nothing to do with your student loans/home mortgage/new car/kids/etc. (whatever pertains to you).  Your employer doesn't care about your lifestyle, they care about getting the best bang for their buck - "it's not personal, it's business."  Your employer isn't going to give up his/her profit (i.e. income) easily.  You have to show that there is a tangible value to keeping you and that to keep you requires compensation for a service provided.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone-

As you may recall a few weeks ago I posted this question looking for some advice/guidance on how to request an increase in salary/compensation as part of my ability to see more patients, increase flow due to being bilingual.

I was actually getting ready to go talk to my manager about it this week when I got a call from a recruiter on Friday asking me if I was interested in a position (same specialty I’m doing) at a hospital 45 minutes away. ( They dar my resume online).

They are offering me $10 more per hour than what I make right now. I love the facility where I am at, love what I do, but this offer is very tempting.

How can I make my manager/supervisor aware of this call from the recruiter and that offer they made me? The recruiter did mention that they are looking for someone bilingual and someone with the interests I have.

I have a few projects that I am working on with my current job to make it better.

What would be the right approach to my current facility to see if they can match or at least give a substantial increase compared to the new offer from the recruiter?

Thanks in advance everyone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are really willing to switch jobs, I think it is totally appropriate to discuss this with your manager, especially if you haven't had a similar conversation in about a year.  Your two key points: 1) the value you bring to the organization - is it worth more to them than they are currently paying, 2) you like your current site but a very attractive site is willing to pay you $10/hour more.  There's no way to predict the outcome, but you'll never know if you don't ask.  Just be sure in your own mind where you are on the going vs staying.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see any problem with having a conversation along the lines of "I have been offered a position elsewhere making $10/hr more than I make now. I'd really rather stay here but this is a great offer and I have to consider it." See where it goes. Nothing confrontational or even vaguely threatening...just a polite conversation. Never ever bluff....if you say you are ready to move...be ready. Good luck.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply!

 

Ideally I would love to stay and if they could make an adjustment I am more than willing to stay.

 

I guess I just want to know how to approach it without them feeling threatened, rather making them aware of that offer and my desire to stay.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would approach my current employer, tell them about the offer and my desire to stay in my current position, but only for appropriate compensation.  If they refuse I'd politely and professionally tell them to "piss off" and then take the other job.  That's >$20,000 a year increase for full-time hours.  That's a big deal.  My time isn't cheap, and if you want the high quality work that I can bring to the table, you need to bring your pocket book to the table.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2018 at 10:38 AM, sas5814 said:

I don't see any problem with having a conversation along the lines of "I have been offered a position elsewhere making $10/hr more than I make now. I'd really rather stay here but this is a great offer and I have to consider it." See where it goes. Nothing confrontational or even vaguely threatening...just a polite conversation. Never ever bluff....if you say you are ready to move...be ready. Good luck.

My next conversation will be. I have an offer that is anywhere else. I'm going to take it unless you give me the most ridiculous package ever, and even then I wont take it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More