Degree and Pre-req Clarification

I apologize if this seems like a fairly obvious question, but I just want to double check before I consider pursuing it.

I understand that PA schools do not necessarily care if you have a degree in Microbiology or Art Appreciation, as long as you have the academic prerequisites completed in addition to the appropriate GPA (among all the other requirements). My husband and I are moving a lot recently, and I am not able to complete a full science degree (my degree of choice) at a brick and mortar school in a decent amount of time, but I am able to complete a BA online, as well as complete my prereqs at a local community college. My question is: does it matter if my prereqs come from a different school other than where my degree was completed from? Is this going to cause any issues?

Thank you,

Emily

31 minutes ago, emilymuff said:

I apologize if this seems like a fairly obvious question, but I just want to double check before I consider pursuing it.

I understand that PA schools do not necessarily care if you have a degree in Microbiology or Art Appreciation, as long as you have the academic prerequisites completed in addition to the appropriate GPA (among all the other requirements). My husband and I are moving a lot recently, and I am not able to complete a full science degree (my degree of choice) at a brick and mortar school in a decent amount of time, but I am able to complete a BA online, as well as complete my prereqs at a local community college. My question is: does it matter if my prereqs come from a different school other than where my degree was completed from? Is this going to cause any issues?

Thank you,

Emily

You will be fine doing your Bachelor's online. I've asked several schools and as long as you have a degree from a regionally accredited institution it satisfies the degree requirement. As far as the prereqs, most schools will accept your prerequisites from a community college (as long as its regionally accredited), however, a lot of programs are beginning to require classes like biochemistry, genetics, and organic chemistry as prerequisites. These classes likely will not be offered at a CC because they are usually upper division courses. Taking classes at two different places is generally ok, but each program does have their specifics. I've seen a few programs that say if you take Anatomy and Physiology 1&2 as oppose to one semester of anatomy and one semester of physiology that the A&P 1&2 courses need to be done at the same school. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

I am considering American Public (Military) University, for my credits from previous schooling as well as some education during my time in the Navy will be transferable. I know it is regionally accredited, and from what I have been reading, it has good reviews. Do you recommend me call the PA programs I’m interested in the get their opinion on the school? 

• Administrator
17 hours ago, emilymuff said:

I am considering American Public (Military) University, for my credits from previous schooling as well as some education during my time in the Navy will be transferable.

I think it's reasonably well respected.  One of my martial arts teachers is a professor for them, and I did part of a program with them back when I thought I wanted to do cyberwarfare for a living.  My impression is that they seem reasonably well put together in comparison to other online colleges and universities from which I've taken classes.

The majority of my prerequisites were from a community college and the vast majority of my bachelor degree was online. I got in on my second cycle applying. Like others have mentioned online these days is definitely seen as acceptable especially with adult learners. My undergraduate was from my local university and I did mention in my interview that many of my classes were online.

Archived