PCE HOURS

quick question: Is Pt aide considered as strong PCE hours? I'm currently an aide at Athletico and I have accumalated about 1400 hours as of right now. I plan to apply next cycle, so by then I'll have about 3000ish hours. Do you think I should conitinue with this job or look take an EMT or CNA class (semester long) and work as those?

Best thing to do is ask the schools you're most interested in/think you have the best chance with. I know schools do accept PTA hours, but it could be setting specific as well (like home health vs sports rehab for example).

Is PT aide the same as physical therapist assistant?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m applying with PT aide hours and was told by the schools I am applying to that it’s lower tier PCE. Some of the schools I’m applying to prefer my ER scribe hours over PT aide hours. All schools will evaluate things differently though. 

High quality PCE is usually working with acutely sick or injured patients, ideally in a hospital setting. EMT, ER tech, CNA in a hospital, etc. are all higher tier.

I would personally recommend diversifying your hours unless GRE and GPAs are really strong. It can only help you to do so. 

Edit: Looking at your post history I would highly recommend higher quality PCE. You will need the hours to make up for your GPA. It would definitely be worth taking a CNA or EMT course. 

I work as a PT aide, I doubt I'll continue too long for the reasons listed above but I'm also a CNA atm and I've been told to at least get the EMT cert.

But my opinion of PT aide ( which is different than PTA) is it's good PCE because you can potentially learn a lot.

For instance my PT who runs the clinic has been practicing for like 40 years and she knows a ton, I sit in with her on evals all the time and shes always teaching me about the nervous system, muscle interactions, bones, joints etc how to do differential diagnoses, how to prescribe different programs and why, how drugs can affect people etc. While working as a CNA you learn very little, but there are plenty of hours to go around.

I also already have a background in Kinesiology, either way it can be a really great experience, but I can see why someone would think its not, as the experience can be pretty variable.

1 hour ago, vinnybaby said:

I work as a PT aide, I doubt I'll continue too long for the reasons listed above but I'm also a CNA atm and I've been told to at least get the EMT cert.

But my opinion of PT aide ( which is different than PTA) is it's good PCE because you can potentially learn a lot.

For instance my PT who runs the clinic has been practicing for like 40 years and she knows a ton, I sit in with her on evals all the time and shes always teaching me about the nervous system, muscle interactions, bones, joints etc how to do differential diagnoses, how to prescribe different programs and why, how drugs can affect people etc. While working as a CNA you learn very little, but there are plenty of hours to go around.

I also already have a background in Kinesiology, either way it can be a really great experience, but I can see why someone would think its not, as the experience can be pretty variable.

Make sure you make a mention of this somewhere in your application to let them know that it's more than just B**CH work.

When I applied (2010) I had about 8000 hours as a physical therapy aide. I had been working in that role since my junior year of high school, part time through college, and then full time for several years prior to my application. I was in a hospital setting for most of it though - and working in an ICU as an aide is much different than working at Athletico. It was excellent experience. You need to be able to articulate WHY it's so great, though. It taught me how to communicate with patients and be comfortable with the uncomfortable. That's difficult to teach in a classroom.

4 hours ago, greenmood said:

When I applied (2010) I had about 8000 hours as a physical therapy aide. I had been working in that role since my junior year of high school, part time through college, and then full time for several years prior to my application. I was in a hospital setting for most of it though - and working in an ICU as an aide is much different than working at Athletico. It was excellent experience. You need to be able to articulate WHY it's so great, though. It taught me how to communicate with patients and be comfortable with the uncomfortable. That's difficult to teach in a classroom.

Bingo!

I had about 4k hours as a PT Aide. I also made a mention of the same exact thing, and it was brought up in both of my interviews last year.

It's important to state why your experience is important especially things that aren't cookie cutter.  As a PT Aide you're kind of the PT's minion but depending on the workplace you can become much more than that. If your experience has provided you with more than just being a traditional PT Aide, mention it! Sell yourself and your abilities!

Guest PAhopeful85
On 8/21/2018 at 1:07 PM, DarcyJ said:

Best thing to do is ask the schools you're most interested in/think you have the best chance with. I know schools do accept PTA hours, but it could be setting specific as well (like home health vs sports rehab for example).

Is PT aide the same as physical therapist assistant?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No, PTA is an associate’s program that is Monday through Friday from 8-5pm that once graduated from let’s you take a licensing exam of 300 questions. 

PT aide is just a helper with no experience or license. 

Archived