Transition to ER from FM

I am a "sort of" new grad. Worked in FM for 10 months and now switched to ER. I absolutely loved my ER rotation during  clinicals always wanted to work in that environment. BUT.  I've been at my job one day but it STRESSED ME OUT!! Haven't done fluids, acute pain management, etc in a long time now and having to deal with that along with learning the computer system and figuring out admits, transfers, etc is kicking my butt. Attendings get frustrated with being asked "stupid" questions.

Granted it's only been one day but I'm used to having everything under control and it felt like I was falling behind & losing control on my first day... Almost to the point where I'm feeling as i made a mistake switching. 

Any advice for someone transitioning? I know to take things "one at a time" but I would appreciate helpful tips..

get all the basics under your belt asap with acls/atls/pals/fccs/difficult courses. maybe also go to one of the em bootcamps out there. that should fill in a lot of the blanks in your knowledge base. Find a good pa, np, or md mentor who doesn't mind questions.  it's only the first day. relax, you will be fine. 

Archived