Accepted into PA school with GPA 3.3

3.2 GPA for both scGPA and cGPA got accepted to my top choice school (local) and also interviewed at UF, turned down 4-5 others after that. Mind you I did not receive any interviews my first cycle, so to turn down interviews after getting accepted was a damn good feeling.

It really comes down to making the rest of your application shine. I did still take some post-bacc classes and made sure to get A's, showing initiative although honestly it would have taken a bunch of classes to even take my GPA to a 3.3. Then beefing up the rest of my app, awesome volunteering experience at the free clinic, amazing LORs and personal statement, gloat a little and sell yourself as to why you'd make a great PA, apply early (mid-May everything was submitted in CASPA), studied my butt off for GRE ended up with a 309, started a business/food blog. Last but not least, prepare to apply for more than one cycle and do the prep work for the next cycle including beefing up your stats in the meantime.

I've said this before as a low GPA applicant I knew I had to make the rest of my application so good it makes whoever reading it forget I even had a 3.2GPA.

Also you may have to apply to a good amount of programs and cast a wide net. 1st cycle -13 program, 2nd cycle-11 programs.

PS- if you really want this DON'T QUIT! You continue to improve yourself and your application you will get those interviews. 

For the 2017-2018 cycle I received 10 interview invites with a 3.29 cGPA and 3.39 sGPA with a couple of acceptances and waitlists. What stood out for me was my PS and LORs, both were mentioned in all of my interviews. I also had lots of PCE, volunteering, and extracurriculars. You can't really do anything about your grades, but you can make sure your PS and LORs are excellent. A lot of PS are written like they copy and pasted their resumes or talked about how their family was sick or worked in the ED. If you have a low GPA and your PS is like everyone else's, then you won't stand out. I know applying early makes a big difference, but I applied late, like September - December, so I kind of got lucky with interviews. 

• 2 weeks later...

I applied with a 3.3 GPA and a 3.1 sGPA. I got four interview invites, attended two interviews, and was accepted at my first choice. I attribute my interviews to my GPA trend (last 90 credits GPA was around a 3.9), stellar letters of rec, a solid personal statement I had about four people review (including the doctor I worked for, a PA I worked with, my mom, and my husband), shadowing a variety of health professions (Not just PA, but also MDs, PTs, OTs, etc.), and having around 4,000 PCE hours.

The GPA and sGPA are important, but not the only way to make an impact on an admissions committee. I also made sure to apply to schools that looked at applicants more holistically.

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted to 2/11 schools I applied to with ~3.1 GPA/sGPA. I made sure my application was very well-rounded and prepared a lot for the interview. I also applied to schools that seem to be more "holistic" in their review of applications (and even though I was limited geographically to an area, it still worked out). Also, I'm in didactic year now and doing really well - so don't think that because you didn't do well in undergrad that you can't rock PA school. It is all about focus and priorities. Good luck! 

Accepted to my top choice and waitlisted to another with a 3.25 cGPA and a 3.04 sGPA. 4,000 hours of HCE as well. Currently in second year of school. It can be done! Congrats everyone. Also for anyone who thinks they will struggle with that type of GPA, you won’t if you put in the time. Currently on track to graduate summa cum laude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3.3 cGPA, 3.23 sGPA, accepted at three of the six programs I applied to. Your personal statement is your greatest opportunity to make a human connection with ADCOMs! Have everyone you possibly can review it, even people without a medical background. Also, consider getting letters of recommendation from providers who know you well and can talk about specific experiences they've had with you. A letter of recommendation from, say, the chief of surgery, might seem great but it won't mean as much as someone can truly vouch for your abilities (unless you happen to know the chief of surgery well.)

All of the advice posted so far in this thread is fantastic. You can get your acceptance letter as well if you're willing to work for it.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:47 PM, aceface said:

For the 2017-2018 cycle I received 10 interview invites with a 3.29 cGPA and 3.39 sGPA with a couple of acceptances and waitlists. What stood out for me was my PS and LORs, both were mentioned in all of my interviews. I also had lots of PCE, volunteering, and extracurriculars. You can't really do anything about your grades, but you can make sure your PS and LORs are excellent. A lot of PS are written like they copy and pasted their resumes or talked about how their family was sick or worked in the ED. If you have a low GPA and your PS is like everyone else's, then you won't stand out. I know applying early makes a big difference, but I applied late, like September - December, so I kind of got lucky with interviews. 

I am totally at a loss as to what makes a great PS. I thought I was on track until I read your post re: not restating your resume or telling a story about working in the ED. I know this topic is well discussed here, but not necessarily from the perspective of a low GPA applicant. Any input is appreciated. 

On 8/29/2018 at 12:22 PM, ScrubLife said:

I applied with a 3.3 GPA and a 3.1 sGPA. I got four interview invites, attended two interviews, and was accepted at my first choice. I attribute my interviews to my GPA trend (last 90 credits GPA was around a 3.9), stellar letters of rec, a solid personal statement I had about four people review (including the doctor I worked for, a PA I worked with, my mom, and my husband), shadowing a variety of health professions (Not just PA, but also MDs, PTs, OTs, etc.), and having around 4,000 PCE hours.

The GPA and sGPA are important, but not the only way to make an impact on an admissions committee. I also made sure to apply to schools that looked at applicants more holistically.

May I ask what schools you applied to and who gave you interviews and where you were accepted? My stats are somewhat similar to yours. Your acceptance gives me a little hope! 

Hey guys my name is Peter, I am a college student with a 3.26 GPA but still have this year left. I have gotten all A's since last semester even physics that i took over the summer. I have also completed almost 1000 hours of volunteering and almost 200 hours of shadowing PAs in different fields as well as 50 hours to an MD, i have became a member of a great organization as well as become the treasurer of my biology club. Also in my volunteering i was able to do AKGs, blood work, and much more. I am retaking a class that I got a C in this semester in order to improve my GPA, so by the end of this semester i should be close to a 3.45 if i get the grades that i want during this semester. Any ideas of where I can apply, I am willing to travel as far as the school wants me. Thank you!!!!

Archived