Adventist University Orlando 2018-2019 Cycle

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, TiradoVicky said:

Hey guys! Your upper classmen will be starting the Facebook page once they release all of the accepted students to us. Once that is settled, we will send each of you an invite that have been accepted. Congrats guys! Get ready for the hardest yet most rewarding thing you’ll ever do!

Thank you! Is there any advice you would give to those beginning in may? Should we prepare a specific way or anything that was vital to your pre-start experience.

My honest advice would be to: 

1. Spend as much time with loved ones; your first trimester in PA school will be tough but the second trimester is on steroids compared to the first, which means you will not have many opportunities to spend time with them during the trimesters. 

2. Buy a planner and actually use it orrrr use google calendar/apple calendar/ or whatever you prefer. You will get the trimester schedule a about a few days- a week before classes start and should probably put in all of your assignments/quizzes/exams on your calendar. However, they do change often so if you're using an actual planner, use erasable pens (i like Pilot Frixion pens). 

3. Majority of people in PA school say, "don't study before you start. Just enjoy your time." I agree with that. But I also know that if you have a type A personality like myself, you will find it very hard from restraining to do so. So, if you must, purchase Netter's anatomy flashcards from amazon and start practicing those. They have pictures of cadavers on them and many of us found them very helpful in anatomy. 

4. Start making a budget now. I have a bad habit of spending, and found myself short money towards the end of the semester. I am now a much better budgeter as I had to learn the hard way. Luckily, I have my fiance who is always there to help, but it was still embarrassing for me. Make a budget of all the finances that you have and make a weekly spending budget with the excess. At the beginning of the week, take that out in cash, and only allow you that money to spend for coffee, gas, etc. If you're a huge coffee person like me, try to limit the amount of fancy mocha chocha latte frappaccino with extra whipped cream and coconut sprinkles, and maybe just get a standard, boring "coffee." Or, just make yourself a nice brewed pot in the morning. Of course, if you have better ways of saving and budgeting, by all means, continue that method. 

5. Try to have a meet and greet with your fellow classmates before you start in May. You will be spending more time with these people for the next 15 months than you do with your own family whether you like it or not. Find out who has similar study methods, aspirations, and interests with you. They will be your "person" throughout PA school, most likely. 

6. You will have anatomy lab twice a week, for 4 hours each time. No need to invest in super fancy, shmancy scrubs. If you have some old ones already, use those. If not, go on amazon and get the cheapy ones. Once you start your Fall trimester, as a group you will all splurge to get the same scrubs that are nicer and better quality. 

7. If you prefer to study at home like myself, you can try doing what I did and got a cute little desk, with new pens, markers, picture frames, and decor to get me excited to actually start using it. That little area in my apt is my solace and motivates me to study. 

8. When it comes to paying for school, its EXPENSIVE and unfortunately, I don't come from a rich family. If any of you do, that's great. But if not : loans. Don't be enticed to take out more than you need because remember, the government will find you. You WILL need to pay them back. And they will be much more expensive. So if you can, try to apply to any scholarships that you can find and again, do not try to live a lavish lifestyle while in PA school. 

9. Try to find a roommate from your program if you need one instead of paying for an apt all by yourself. It will be much cheaper, you can car pool together, and isn't comforting to have another person who understands the exact struggle that you're going through?

10. Be excited, and be proud because you got into PA school!  If you're religious, make sure to thank God everyday for this opportunity. This will be the hardest yet probably the most rewarding thing you'll ever do. Stay focused, don't lose hope, and don't forget why you worked this hard to even get into PA school.

CONGRATS TO YOU ALL! ❤️ 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived