Sign in to follow this  
PKundargi

PA School choice affecting future career

Hello,

I have committed to a PA school starting in January 2019. I was comfortable with my choice until the last few weeks I have been very concerned that I should reapply - even though it is 3 months into the application cycle- because the school I have accepted a position at is currently on probation status. The program did explain this at the interview, however now that I have had a few months to think about it I am growing nervous that I should wait and apply again to get into a fully accredited program. The program has hired consultants to improve on the issues that caused the accreditation problem. I am hoping it will be accredited, but truly it would not affect my class, rather the class after mine.

If I can get any feedback whether the specific program/school you attend affects where you get a job or how others look at your application I would truly truly appreciate it. I am not sure if my hesitancy is valid or not.

Thanks

You can take your boards if you enrolled while the program is on probation. The real question is WHY they are. If it is because they have poor rotations or some other academic issue, you may have trouble when you get a job, or the rotations may not be good enough to develop your skills or let you make connections in your job search.

You need to dig into why they are on probation. They should be able to tell you and you can also look at the NCCPA website.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I second what UGoLong said. Find out why they are on probation. My program is currently on probation, but I don't think it affects my learning. Probation status can be an indicator that something is terribly wrong with the program and it's leadership or it can also be something very benign. 

How much did you enjoy the program when you interviewed? Did the program seem well organized? Did the faculty interact with each other and it's students well? Did the program ever discuss it's own faults? The last one is super important because any program who doesn't understand and express it's own flaws is problem severely unaware of them. 

You can always apply and see if you get in else where and then give up your seat. BUT, I would not enroll in the program and drop out and "transfer" during the semester, as this screws someone else out of that seat. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jean16
      Hello,

I am seeking advice for a friend who unfortunately has waited until her last elligible year (year 6) and month (Dec) it seems to take her 1st PANRE. She seems to be under the impression that if she does not pass on this one attempt, she will have to return to PA school...therefore losing current position in an ICU since shell no longer have the -C. ( I don't believe  our state of residence allows PAs to work without it).  When researching the NCCPA and even this board I don't see any information about what would happen in a situation like this. I don't doubt that shell pass as she  was towards the top of the class and typically does well on exams...but I also find it interesting that theres no info on this anywhere. Does anyone know?
    • By hmtpnw
      Last week I got my first official application decision of the cycle. Opening the email, I scanned the words frantically until I found the sentence I was fearing the most. It read, “I regret to inform you of the program’s decision not to pursue your application further.” These words translate much more simply to “rejection.”
      For a moment I felt like I couldn’t breathe. I knew that I would be receiving rejections throughout the cycle, but had hoped and prayed it wouldn’t be from this school. Not only was this program one of my top choices, but it is also the only school in my home city. The realization that I would not have the opportunity to interview hit me like a ton of bricks. With GPAs well above the program’s average and my state residency giving me a leg up over other applicants, I felt that I would likely secure an interview. I was wrong.
      After the news, I began to question my application strategy entirely. I chose to apply more intentionally to a handful of carefully selected programs landing on the lower side of things - 6. As the September 1st deadline for many programs was only a few days away I sent my GRE scores off to an additional school that I was going back and forth on, hoping that they would arrive on time. I was relieved to have everything complete with one other program, but I still questioned if 7 would be enough to land me an acceptance or even an interview.
      At this point I was doubting myself, my personal statement, my clinical experiences… everything. I wondered if there were red flags in my application or if I said the wrong things in the answers to the supplemental questions. I tried to stay optimistic, but I was disappointed and feeling insecure. My first rejection was certainly humbling, planting seeds of doubt that were becoming overwhelming.
      And then I saw it. I was eating my lunch and scanning my email when I suddenly read “Invitation to Interview” in the subject line of an email from my top choice. My heart started racing and my palms were sweating. After seeing the date provided, only 3.5 weeks away, I could barely focus enough to read about the interview details. I was ecstatic. Their initial email contained a typo and in a follow up email with a correction the admissions director revealed that I was the very first applicant to be offered an interview. I couldn’t believe it. This school was my reach, and I certainly wasn’t counting on being offered an interview, let alone the first one. I was over the moon.
      Here I am now, in the midst of the cycle with one interview scheduled and one rejection. Things are still up in the air, but I feel that I am at least back in the game. The ups and downs of this roller coaster ride will continue, and I couldn't be happier. Thus far, this process has been unpredictable. Although I have heard this repeated many times here by those wiser than myself, this experience has definitely shown me that there is no such thing as a sure thing when applying to PA school. Don’t be so quick to count yourself in, but also don’t count yourself out.
    • By Kavitar27
      Can PA's do a residency in another country? And would they be able to practice their certification in that country, should they decide to move to that country??

• By nmb123
      Hi all, 
      I wanted to thank you in advance for any advice that will be given on this topic. I will be applying for the second time in April 2019 and I am kind of caught up as to where I should apply. My first time applying, I went more of a geographic approach (I applied to places I would like to live) while also considering how I compared to the previous classes. Out of 13 schools, I had 1 interview and I was waitlisted at that school. 
      I have been doing extensive research on school statistics and although I meet all minimum criteria and seem to be average for most schools, I fear that where I apply will be the wrong choices (I was pretty surprised at my lack of interviews). Did any of you have a system to narrow down where you wanted to apply? How do you pick schools that are the most likely to offer you an interview?
      Stats: 
      GPA: 3.5 
      Science GPA: 3.44 
      Direct Patient Care Hours: 2,150 (Phlebotomist, Medical Assistant)
      Indirect Patient Care Hours: 6,750 (Emergency Room Medical Scribe, x3 years)
      Volunteer Hours: 350 (Free Medical Clinic)
      Shadowing Hours: 80; Orthopedics, Trauma, ER, Internal Medicine 
      GRE: 308; W 4.5  
      Undergraduate Science Courses: Immunology, Genetics, BioChem, A&P, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Microbiology. 
      Other application boosters: From a rural area, 1st generation college graduate, both parents deceased when I was 16.

Thanks!  

• By GGMedStaff
      My name is Gregory E. Gould D.O. and I have an internal medicine practice in Washington, Michigan. I would like to extend the opportunity to students or recent graduates looking for full-time or part-time employment as a medical assistant in my office.

This presents itself as an amazing opportunity for you to get direct patient contact, work alongside a practicing physician assistant, and make some money.

Our current need for this role in the office is immediate given that one of our medical assistance just left for pre-nursing college.

Please feel free to text me or email me with your interest. My telephone number is 248-506-2258. Also, if you feel there is an individual that may be interested please feel free to forward this email to them.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you,

Dr. Gould
      www.drgregorygould.com

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More