Optimistic & Nervous. Advice needed please.

Hi everyone, I am currently a Nuclear Medicine Technologist and finishing my B.A degree in Imaging Sciences & Health Mgmt. I graduate in April 2019. I have been working at FH for the past 2 yrs, so I have hands on patient care experience. I am wanting to apply at Nova in Orlando or Possibly Barry in Tampa. I still need to take Biochem & Human Genetics as a transient student to fulfill some prerequisites. I have to complete my Caspca & GRE afterwards. Applications will be accepted around that time until Dec for the May 2020 class. I currently live near Orlando/ Disney area as well.  

My questions would be,

1. Which school would be best & I would have a better opportunity of getting in to?

2. How hard will it be to get accepted in to the program?

3. Any recommendations for the following: Shadowing hrs, Interview questions, and letters of recommendations?

(I am trying to get acquainted with a PA but I know tons of NP's and no PA's unfortunantly)

I appreciate your help and time.

Thank you!

1. That is completely up to you. I would recommend starting an excel spreadsheet or some kind of document to keep track of programs and their requirements as well as anything additional about programs that may interest you (on campus housing, financial aid, PANCE pass rates, tuition, etc). Read their mission statements. See which is a better fit - you can also apply to both (it was recommended to me that I apply to at least 8 programs, however this is different for everyone).

2. Getting into PA school is, statistically, more difficult than getting into MD or DO programs. This is simply because there are fewer accredited PA programs than there are MD/DO. It is highly competitive, which is why it's important to do your research and figure out which programs are a good fit for you stats-wise and personality-wise.

3. Shadow at least 50 hours. In my interview, they were impressed that I had shadowed over 100 hours, so consider doing that many as well. In regards to interview questions, speak with your academic adviser on campus. They can help with a mock interview or at least provide you resources on how to interview. Letters of recommendation are important and something you need to learn to ask for. In the classes you have to take, be the best student possible. Go to office hours and ask questions. When you're comfortable, ask the professor if they will write you a LoR. It's always good to have an academic LoR as many programs require it. Ask the PA or one of the PA's you shadow if they would be willing to write one, and then ask one of the doc's you work for if they will be willing to write one.

I hope this helps!

Yes. Thank you. I have looked in to all central FL schools. I have my mind set on Nova. Only bad thing is that extra Human genetics class requirement. They also require 100 hrs of shadowing. 

In applying for classes, do you have to pay an application fee for each school as well and a fee for Caspca for each school?

Thank you for your quick response. ?

21 minutes ago, LisetteV said:

Yes. Thank you. I have looked in to all central FL schools. I have my mind set on Nova. Only bad thing is that extra Human genetics class requirement. They also require 100 hrs of shadowing. 

In applying for classes, do you have to pay an application fee for each school as well and a fee for Caspca for each school?

Thank you for your quick response. ?

Just so you know, it's CASPA* ?

Yes.. there is a primary and then a secondary fee for each program ugh... I've spent all of my savings on just APPLYING to programs. Start saving your money now!

Archived