Change name once a licensed PA

I did this recently and recall it being much easier than changing name on loans, bank accounts etc.

I would first change your name legally if you haven't done so already and have your new SS card and driver's license in hand. NCCPA, NPI, DEA, and state licensing are all surprisingly straightforward after that and typically require a written request with copies of your name change (marriage certificate, legal name change document, etc) and driver's license with new name. The change was fairly quick as well.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Most of it was automated and easy! I do not recommend getting married, moving to another state, obtaining new state license, and going through credentialing for a new position within 2 weeks though ha! I applied for a job with my legal maiden name and when it was time to proceed with credentialing, there were a lot of questions as to why I now had a different name ?

I did go from First Middle Maiden to First Maiden NewLastName, so perhaps that made things a little easier.

Guest ERCat

To me the whole thing was a headache to do and I didn’t want to deal with it. I legally changed my name, but my license is under my maiden name, and thus my NPI and DEA and work stuff. Has not been a problem whatsoever. Besides it is kinda cool having a professional name and then my husband’s name as my legal name. 

• 11 months later...
On 8/7/2018 at 3:51 AM, ERCat said:

To me the whole thing was a headache to do and I didn’t want to deal with it. I legally changed my name, but my license is under my maiden name, and thus my NPI and DEA and work stuff. Has not been a problem whatsoever. Besides it is kinda cool having a professional name and then my husband’s name as my legal name. 

Hi there! I’m in wisconsin and was confused in how this would work. I planned on legally changing, but would prefer to avoid the confusing of changing my DEA NPI and license. I have talked to the NCCPA and they said you just have to match your license with your name online which is easily changed online and can be switched back. I’m unsure about the NPI and DEA though. Was there any issue with having pay roll legally pay you through you SS number as your new last name, but still going by you maiden name?

Edited by Jennylynn2879

Guest ERCat

I have not had any issues. My pay checks and my employee name at work is my legal married name. But my charts and prescriptions show up as my maiden name. DEA and NPI are maiden name. No issues. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2018 at 4:51 AM, ERCat said:

This is exactly what I want! Without making my maiden name my middle name, which is something I found a lot of people seem to do. May I ask where you are located? I'm in Delaware so I don't know if this rule varies from state to state.

When I took my marriage license to the Social Security office way back 27 yrs ago - I was shocked. There was no internet really back then - so this was all paper, sign, notary, etc. 

I could change my name to Minnie Mouse and it would have been legal. You can literally pick ANY NAME you want. So weird. 

I did the whole maiden name as middle name thing to keep a trail of the name. It works fine and I HATED the second name I had been given at birth anyway. So, I became First Name - Maiden Name - Hubby Name.

When we got the marriage license I bought 10 certified copies - didn't cost much.

Sent those to everyone and their brother to change my name - large public hospital, state license, insurance, etc. Didn't have a DEA back then (stupid Texas) so that wasn't an issue.

One of the docs I work with uses her husband's name privately but the VA knows her as her professional previous name - evidently changing your name there requires something kissed by the Pope. 

I bet you can google most of this for whatever state you are in and even the DEA.

Good Luck!