Updating an ‘I’ on a CASPA transcript?

Hey there, I’d love some feedback if anyone feels like they may have advice to give.

My (graduate) transcript has one ‘I’ from Spring ‘18. The grade will be replaced within one week, but I need to be CASPA verified by 9/1...timing is already too close for comfort. 

Should I wait another week for the grade to be replaced, or go ahead and submit everything ASAP to make sure to hit my materials are verified by the 9/1 deadline?  Will I be able to “update” the “I” after I submit my application, as technically the course is still in progress? If I can’t update, will the incomplete be enough for me to be passed over, or will schools simply ask for the updated grade?

I’d rather wait until the grade’s been changed, but if I wait much longer, my application won’t be verified in time for the 9/1 schools. However, if I can’t update the “I” after submission, then will I be more or less “stuck” with it? None of the schools with later deadlines would be able to see (and take into account) the new grade?

How terrible will my otherwise competitive application look with a (graduate-level) “I”?  I should note that I’ve already entered my Fall 2018 grad-class schedule under “in-progress.”

Im sure it wouldn't be a huge deal, as long as you have all of your prerequisite courses complete. If you wait for the grade to be replaced, which you said would be around a week, then we'd already be at around the end of next week before you could even request a transcript possibly, which would be 8/10. Even if you ordered the transcript then, they likely wouldn't start processing the transcript at your school until they next Monday, 8/13. After that, it'll be at least a week before CASPA receives and processes your transcript, likely even longer. That already puts you at around 8/20 if those at CASPA move quick and don't lose or mess up anything that could add several more days. After that, you'd have to enter your grades and then wait for your application to be verified, which again, could take a couple of weeks. Right now, I'm hearing a lot of people saying its been taking around a week to get verified. So, if everything goes perfectly smooth, you'd still be cutting it pretty close in my opinion! 

So all in all, I'd go ahead and submit my application now if I were you! You can always update grades later, just make sure to include the semester that you are  completing in the application. If you received an incomplete, then that must mean you had a legitimate reason for not completing the course at that time, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Just send your updated transcript ASAP once you receive it. So as long as it is not a prereq that is required to be complete and grade submitted by the application deadline, I don't think that it would matter too much. Just email the admissions offices to inform them of your situation. Hope that all made sense! Good luck with everything!

Hey there MCEmit,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful advice! I didn't even realize I could technically add the course to the current semester so as to be able to update it! Thankfully my transcripts are electronic, so hopefully that will help expedite the process. Furthermore, I've been terrified that verification time might be closer to 4-6 week as opposed to 1-2. It's certainly not anything to bank on, but it does calm me down a little. I can't thank you enough for the feedback!

7 hours ago, katlucas said:

Hey there MCEmit,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful advice! I didn't even realize I could technically add the course to the current semester so as to be able to update it! Thankfully my transcripts are electronic, so hopefully that will help expedite the process. Furthermore, I've been terrified that verification time might be closer to 4-6 week as opposed to 1-2. It's certainly not anything to bank on, but it does calm me down a little. I can't thank you enough for the feedback!

No problem!! Happy to help! Good luck with all of your applications. It's a stressful process for sure!

Archived