ALABAMA: Samford University 2018-2019

Guest hopefulpastuden0519

Does anyone know how long the waitlist is? Or how many people get onto a waitlist typically? Also do people get denied from programs after the interview?

Edited by hopefulpastuden0519

7 hours ago, hopefulpastuden0519 said:

Does anyone know how long the waitlist is? Or how many people get onto a waitlist typically? Also do people get denied from programs after the interview?

I'm not sure about how many people. My guess would be about 30 or so, but that's just judging off other programs. 

Did you receive a waitlist letter via email?

9 hours ago, hopefulpastuden0519 said:

I was wondering this too. I think UAB's waitlist is like 20 people? Some years, they said that all of the people get accepted off the wait list, while others, not so many. I guess it depends how many people choose to go to other programs or just decline the offer.

I'm thinking Samford's waitlist could potentially be longer since they're a new program and might anticipate people choosing to go elsewhere if accepted. ?

Yes, unfortunately people do get denied even after the interview since they interview way more people than there are spots (I think Samford interviewed 100 people for 36 spots, if I did the math correctly). Typically, schools send out letters in the mail for rejection.

4 hours ago, silverandshadow said:

I was wondering this too. I think UAB's waitlist is like 20 people? Some years, they said that all of the people get accepted off the wait list, while others, not so many. I guess it depends how many people choose to go to other programs or just decline the offer.

I'm thinking Samford's waitlist could potentially be longer since they're a new program and might anticipate people choosing to go elsewhere if accepted. ?

Yes, unfortunately people do get denied even after the interview since they interview way more people than there are spots (I think Samford interviewed 100 people for 36 spots, if I did the math correctly). Typically, schools send out letters in the mail for rejection.

I honestly just assumed the waitlist was everyone that didn’t get accepted. This is my first year doing anything like this so I don’t know much about how the selection process works.

I got rejected without an interview as an in-state applicant that lives in Birmingham whereas I'm receiving several interviews elsewhere. That doesn't make sense to me.

Were most of you in-state residents or out-of-state residents? Did they seem to favor grades more than other aspects of your application? I've tried to call and email the program but I seem to never get a response.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ollivander said:

I got rejected without an interview as an in-state applicant that lives in Birmingham whereas I'm receiving several interviews elsewhere. That doesn't make sense to me.

Were most of you in-state residents or out-of-state residents? Did they seem to favor grades more than other aspects of your application? I've tried to call and email the program but I seem to never get a response.

Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. I didn't receive an interview from UAB this year even though I've interviewed there previously and am an in-state applicant, good stats, etc.

From what I can tell, the majority of the people at the interview were in-state. Maybe 3-4 were out of state. To me, they didn't seem to favor grades but emphasized experience as well. However, they could have made a decision on who to give an interview to in the first place based on grades maybe?

Good luck with your other interviews! Hoping we all get in somewhere.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:40 AM, kpowell said:

I'm not sure about how many people. My guess would be about 30 or so, but that's just judging off other programs. 

Did you receive a waitlist letter via email?

Yes I got waitlisted on the email. What about you?

2 hours ago, kpowell said:

I was wait listed as well. I'm beginning to think that maybe they waitlisted everyone that wasn't accepted as I know others who are in the same boat.

Yeah I was wait listed as well, but I hope that's not the case. That would just be setting unrealistic expectations, as there's no possible way for 64 people to all get accepted off a wait list when there are only 36 spots. (I do hope we all get into PA school, though!) I wish they would clarify the number of people on the wait list so we would know whether we have a chance of getting in or not.

3 hours ago, kpowell said:

I was wait listed as well. I'm beginning to think that maybe they waitlisted everyone that wasn't accepted as I know others who are in the same boat.

Is there a way to contact maybe Dr. Carter and ask? That would really stink if they waitlisted everyone they interviewed....surely there were some people (I hate to say it because I want everyone to be accepted) that were rejected after the interview?

At my Trevecca interview yesterday I met a student who was not accepted or placed on the wait list at Samford. So I believe they did “reject” people after the interviews. I asked the Samford program director if we were allowed to know our place on the wait list and he said no 😞

Edited by CityCityPA

On 11/14/2018 at 1:57 PM, winb4noon said:

The deposit is due 11/20, so those on the waitlist should hear after that date

On 11/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, CityCityPA said:

At my Trevecca interview yesterday I met a student who was not accepted or placed on the wait list at Samford. So I believe they did “reject” people after the interviews. I asked the Samford program director if we were allowed to know our place on the wait list and he said no 😞

Thank you to both of you for the info! That gives me some hope that I may get off the wait list.

It also looks like UAB has sent out their acceptance calls, so maybe that will open up a few seats at Samford as well.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope we all become successful physician assistants one day!

• Upvote 1

Has anyone else confirmed their spot at Samford? I am super excited for the opportunity to be a member of the first PA class at Samford! I can't wait to get to know all my future classmates!

I hope those who are waiting will get answers as people may be giving up their spot today!

Edited by krose14
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CityCityPA said:

I came off the wait list yesterday and was accepted. Never give up hope regardless of the outcome 

Congratulations!! Did you get an email or a phone call? Also around when did you hear from them?

Has anyone else heard something from them?!

Edited by hopefulpastuden0519

9 hours ago, hopefulpastuden0519 said:

Congratulations!! Did you get an email or a phone call? Also around when did you hear from them?

Has anyone else heard something from them?!

I spoke with a PT student who was previously waitlisted and he told me students received seats as far out as two weeks from class starting. I’m trying not to get my hopes up, but if anyone else gets off the waitlist or gives up their spot please let us know!

Edited by ctpendley4ua
Spelling
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ctpendley4ua said:

I spoke with a PT student who was previously waitlisted and he told me students received seats as far out as two weeks from class starting. I’m trying not to get my hopes up, but if anyone else gets off the waitlist or gives up their spot please let us know!

Just so you guys know I gave up my spot on 11/20 for another program. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. I know it's hard 

• Like 1