Leadership and Admin Roles

Hi everyone,

When our medical director left the practice, the job’s responsibilities were divvied up among several individuals.

Long story short, I am doing all the duties that do not require an MD (so about 70% of them) and I’m in the process of negotiating a promotion that recognizes all my extra work.

I’m asking for the title of Associate Medical Director but the practice owner (not an MD) thinks a PA can’t have that title.

I know of two other PAs who carry that title and sent the owner their LinkedIn profiles, but he is asking for more examples.

So if you have that or another similar title as a PA, and you feel comfortable doing so, could you PM me your LinkedIn profile? I promise not to use it for anything other than a screenshot proving my point.

Trying to shatter some glass ceilings around here. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently was given the title of Assistant Medical Director (2 emergency departments)... Original plan was for Associate Medical Director but that changed at some point during contract revisions. I don't use LinkedIn, however, so can't help you with that part. 

Thanks! I was offered the same as you but since I don’t assist the Medical Director, I declined on the grounds that as a PA I already have an inaccurate “assistant” in my title. ;-)

I’m still fighting. This is exhausting!

I would ask to see what regulation specifically disallows you to have that title.  It's a different category, but I have a title of Associate Medical Director for our local EMS system.  Shoot me a PM if you think this is helpful and I'll send you my LinkedIn info.

Yes, without a Medical Director I'm not sure that Assistant Medical Director is an accurate description. In my case, they were offering an MD Assistant Medical Director so the plan for me to be Associate was intended to be a lesser position. Now the 2 of us have equal titles so I'm happy about that

Thank you so much, everyone.

I got the job!

Fought tooth and nail for it, and finally got it. I actually read your replies here to my boss.

The more of us who get these titles, the better!

Thanks again for your help.

Archived