Hi! This fall I will commence my undergraduate studies at SUNY Cortland and I'm pretty concerned with being prepared for applying to PA programs, especially in regards to obtaining direct patient care hours. I was doing research and there are programs in which their accepted candidates average or will have even have more than 4,000 hours. This is quite the daunting task considering I plan to be a full-time student over the next four years.

As of now, I plan on being involved in the campus EMS squad where I will receive training and will be required to serve a minimum of two 12-hour shifts per semester. However, I will aim to serve at least 1 of these shifts every week. Do these volunteer hours count as direct patient care hours? Additionally, the squad will pay for my EMT-B training throughout this upcoming year's spring semester if I agree to volunteer for them for the two semesters of my sophomore year. Thus, I will be able to at least volunteer as an EMT-B over the next few summers as well.

Cortland Regional Medical Center is also a five-minute drive from the university, so I will most likely be able to shadow and volunteer here, but they are not a teaching hospital so they do not often have training experiences.

So my overarching question is how am I supposed to get the hours I need by the fall of my senior year when application season begins? Will I most likely have to accumulate hours for another year after my undergrad? Furthermore, are there any other positions I can seek to display diversity within the hours I accumulate, and are there any other pieces of advice you can offer me as I begin to plan?

Thanks for all the help!

I'm a 2016 SUNY Oneonta Grad (Go Red Dragons), and got the majority of my hours on campus through our EMS squad.  It was a really cool experience.  Meet a bunch of people, see some crazy stuff and gain a lot of experience. 

I was only on the squad for my last 3 semesters and was able to accrue over 600 hours of experience (I would sign up for the overnight shifts and be asleep for 7 hours, did that 1-2x/week.  Would get a call once every 2-3 shifts for a drunk student).  Some schools require more hours than others, I saw a range of 80-1500 hours of minimum HCE when I was in the application process.  I got into school with around 1200hrs HCE, but I know some people in my class that got in with limited HCE (~200hrs HCE).  The majority of people I know that got into school recently had about 1000hrs HCE, which is not that difficult at all to achieve over your 8 semesters (~125hrs/semester if you only worked EMS).

Get good grades in school, work EMS and shadow when you can (only 25hrs minimum for most schools) and you'll be fine.  Have fun at SUNY Cortland, spent many great weekends up there - great town!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By magboo
      So I finally got a job at my dream hospital!! I am currently working there as a Patient Care Technician/ PCT. However, I will be leaving for PA school next year. I really want to return to this hospital and work as a PA! The problem is that getting a job at my hospital is super competitive. Is there a way for me to ensure/ increase my chances of getting a PA job in this facility in the future?

(Also, what do you guys think of requesting a absense of leave instead of quitting? Can I be able to come back to the hospital to pursue a higher position?)

Thanks in advance!
    • By wgayoub
      Hello all,
      I am a prospective MBKU applicant eager to apply this cycle (going on my second time now). I noticed nobody had created a thread for this years cycle, so I figured I would! I would like to know all the possible in's and out's of getting into this program and be able to help other do the same. I was waitlisted for an interview in the 2018-2019 cycle so I feel as though I am almost there! If anyone got an interview last cycle, has any advice or any questions, please don't hesitate to post in this thread! I will be doing my best to check daily and respond to posts as I am able. Best of luck everyone!
    • By zgotham1
      Hello All, 

I hope you are doing well. I was just curious if anyone has run into the same issue with shadowing that i am in currently. So, unfortunately I dont have the connections to other PAs like some people do, so this leads to having to go above and beyond to try to find PAs to shadow. I finally found one that is willing to take me on that doesn't currently have PA students with them (I go to Gannon University and I live close to Mercyhurst University, which both have PA programs), however, they want me to pay $50 per shadowing visit. I have never heard of anything like this before. Is this normal to pay $50/per shadow experience? Or is this just a UPMC thing. Is it worth it? Or should i keep trying to find other facilities that dont require such. 

- Zach 
    • By TessL
      I'm thinking of finishing my BS as a chemistry major. Is there any benefit for this as a Dermatologist PA? Any info is helpful, thank you!
    • By SciMed13
      Hi Everyone! 
      I have a question that I HOPE someone on here has experienced and can help me out with an answer! As you know, many schools allow for one or two prereqs to be in progress when applying, but some require all to be completed prior to CASPA submission. My question is, if I put all my info into CASPA and say my course is in progress then submit to the programs that allow in progress submissions, can I then change that course to say completed or indicate that its not in progress any more and submit to the program that requires all to be completed once I'm done with the course? Or is there some way that they would know its completed, because the transcript submitted prior won't have that in progress course on there and I don't know if I need to request another transcript be sent to CASPA. Or, if one program has already been submitted and in the process of being verified then it voids all access to any of the academic materials that I would edit/add for other programs that have not yet been submitted. Would I need to contact the program and directly send them another copy of the transcript showing completion of the course? I know many programs say not to send them anything directly. I've contacted CASPA and they aren't answering my question to my satisfaction, but I'm sure one of you lovely people can.
      Thank you in advance!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More