Hello!

I am a student in the Providence, Rhode Island area and I am interested in physician assistant medicine as a future career path.  I am writing to you all now hoping that someone in the area would be willing to let me spend time observing so I can learn more about this career.

If you are open to it, it would help me greatly to be able to quietly observe you as you go about your usual schedule. I know many PAs are extremely busy and there are strict shadowing guidelines it would be very appreciated if anyone had any information!

Thank You!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DD2PA
      Starting this for new applicants. Just FYI the program DID gain accreditation,  I've emailed one of the admins to place this topic under the accredited programs but no reply yet. Anyways goodluck! 
    • By IsaiahRW
      Hey everyone, I am a recent college graduate (December 2018) and I have been interested in PA for about 3 years now and with my recent graduation I’m sure you all can relate to the panick of the uncertainty of my life that I just stepped into 😂.  I’ve mostly been curious about my competitiveness for this upcoming cycle (2019-2020). Here are my stats  
      Overall GPA:3.494 
      sGPA: 3.54
      Last 60 hours: 3.65 
      Side Note: I initially had a 2.8 GPA freshmen year and worked my tail off to get where I am now. After I transferred to a new school beginning Junior year I made 24 A’s to 7 B’s with no C’s or D’s.  I know schools take into account upward trends and if that isn’t one then I don’t know what is!
      HCE/PCE:By time of application will have have about 750 hours with 300 being a Home Health Aid and 450 as a PT Aide. For schools who do not have rolling admissions I will wait until about late July to apply so that would bring me to around 1000 hours  
      LOR: Gastrointestinal Oncology PA, DPT who is my supervisor at work, Chemistry Proffesor
      Shadowing: 100 hours shadowing Oncology PA, Family Practice NP; Oncology MD
      GRE: Verbal: 153 Quant: 150
      Volunteer Hours: Over 500hours through my fraternity,NAACP, and my own efforts. Mostly registering people to vote, educating minors on sexual health, March of Dimes, and various other projects me and my fraternity brothers could think of. I believe this will be the strongest part of my application. I have a ton of other experiences of volunteer/community service I could speak of but that would take hours to type out 😂  
      My personal statement will more than likely focus on my experience with the many different types of clients I have dealt with as a HHA. Going into someone’s home is a direct view into their life and lifestyle and the differences and experiences between each is so unique it’s jaw dropping. I’ve had some crazy experiences to say the least 😂

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you all!

*Added some updates so I decided to bump!
    • By teamrogers
      I need advice on how to handle a certain advisor at my school. There is a lot to this story but here is a nutshell: I'm majoring in Cell and molecular biology and this individual is the advisor for my degree. When I express my interest in PA school he shuts me down and makes me feel stupid for wanting to go that route (he discourages people from the medical feild even though this degree was designed for pre med and pre health students). I've gone to another professor to sign up for classes and when he found out he sought me out and said he is the only one who should be advising me. He told me I'm going to graduate in a year although that won't be enough time to finish my pre recs for PA school and when I say this he flat out talks over me and doesn't listen to me. This advisor has behaved inappropriately with me before and I have recognized him as a emotional manipulator. When I stand up for my self and don't do exactly what he wants me to do or I dont let him pry into my personal life he acts like a humongous baby and treats me like I'm a bad person. This creates an immense amount of stress and anxiety for me when all I want to do is just enjoy school and do well. I have to take 3 more classes with this person  plus a senior project but I have dread about it because of the way he acts. My school is so small that the way its designed, he's in charge of much of my academics because of my degree. I've even though about transfering schools because this feels so unhealthy but I don't want to run from a problem just because its hard. Any advice? 
    • By nmb123
      I have written my personal statement and mentioned that I am bilingual in English and Spanish. My native language is English, but I have taken 10 years of Spanish courses and would consider myself pretty fluent (I use my Spanish daily with patients in an inpatient setting). Has anyone who has had past interviews, and is bilingual, been given an interview question in their second language? This could just be pre-application anxiety, but I see myself potentially walking into an interview already a nervous disaster and then just totally blowing it if they asked me a question in Spanish that I didn't quite understand. Thanks in advance!
    • By tareyng
      I am taking a gap year following my undergraduate at the University of Idaho, and applying this cycle in May of 2019. I am terrified of being denied entry, I feel that there isn't much that stands out in my application. I am doing an impressive internship this summer, but will be applying before it begins. I hope to matriculate into a surgical career, but am keeping my options open at this point. Please give me your 100% candid feedback. I'm an Idaho resident, from a medically underserved area btw. 
      cGPA: 3.54
      sGPA: 3.5
      Paid PCE: ~800 hours as a surgical floor CNA
      Unpaid PCE: 221.25 hours ED volunteer 
      Scribe Hours: 45 hours Free clinic 
      PA shadowing: 80 hours (FP, Surgical Speciality)
      MD shadowing: 15 hours (FP, Orthopedic Surgeon) 
      Volunteer hours: ~300 Muscular Dystrophy Association, Environmental, Greek 
      Definitely applying to: Northern Arizona, Samuel Merritt University, Western University of Health Sciences, Idaho State University, Cornell University, PACE University (Lenox Hill) 
      Maybe applying to: Carroll University, Salus University, Sullivan University, Albany Medical College, Touro University 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More