Hello!

I am a student in the Providence, Rhode Island area and I am interested in physician assistant medicine as a future career path.  I am writing to you all now hoping that someone in the area would be willing to let me spend time observing so I can learn more about this career.

If you are open to it, it would help me greatly to be able to quietly observe you as you go about your usual schedule. I know many PAs are extremely busy and there are strict shadowing guidelines it would be very appreciated if anyone had any information!

Thank You!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Saverina
      Hello everyone! I recently decided to choose the PA route during the last quarter of my senior year (graduated 2018) and I have been taking a few pre reqs to catch up.
      As of now, I will technically have my pre reqs done by early June. However I planned to retake Chemistry because I had 2 C’s in the class and I want the schools to see that I can do well in Chemistry. The retake classes wouldn’t finish until mid August (at the latest).

My question: Do you guys think it’s better to send in my app early in June, especially since I’m planning to apply for some schools with rolling admissions? Or should I wait until I get my grades back from the retake and send my app by late August?

My undergrad GPA right now is around sGPA: 3.25 and cGPA: 3.425 (this is based on my own calculation while following “how to calculate your GPA” on CASPA’s website). This doesn’t include my post bacc work with pre reqs and I’m hoping my GPA will go up too after classes.

The schools I'm looking at are mostly in CA (and a few out of state) and are ok with a C for prereqs. And they are ok with having "in-progress" coursework on CASPA.

Thank you!
    • By NEprePA
      Second time, older applicant looking to reapply this coming cycle -- CASPA verified early this past cycle with low GPA (2.93) and outstanding prereqs, which led to 5 app submissions and prompt rejections. Hoping that I've improved, but still looking for advice on how I can try to standout being on the low GPA end of things and thoughts on retaking the GRE!
      Undergrad Degree (2008): BS in Comm Studies & Rhetoric PostBacc (2016-2019) cGPA: 3.3 (undergrad, 3.3) sGPA: currently 3.13 (undergrad, 2.63) -- if I get an A in Immunology (3 credits) this coming Spring, I will have a sGPA of 3.18; if I take 4 credits and get an A, I will have a 3.2 Post-Bacc GPA: 3.6 Disclosure: DUI conviction 10 yrs ago Pre-req courses:
      Biostats: B- Psych: A Bio1: A Bio2: A A&P1: B- Gen Chem1: C+ (W from 5 yrs ago when I enrolled and dropped) Gen Chem2: C+ A&P2: A- BioChem: A MicroBio: A Genetics: A- Pending Immunology course this Spring GRE: 306, V158--Q148--W3.5
      LoRs: 2 oncology attendings/primary investigators; 1 PA; 1 NP; 1 academic letter -- bio prof
      Hours:
      PCE: By the time I apply, 7074 hrs (8 yrs clinical research coordinator, CRC, in oncology clinical research) HCE: 7074 hrs (8 yrs clinical research associate, CRA, in oncology clinical research) Research: 1572 hrs Volunteer: 50 hrs, helping at a homeless clinic since Jan 2018 PA shadowing: 28 hrs surgical oncology and pediatric oncology I split my hours as 45% PCE/45% HCE /10% Research
      CRC - in the clinic w/patients (interviewing pts about PMH, one-on-one pt research interviews regarding Quality of Life, discussing & outlining the patient's course of treatment on vs. off-protocol, discussing the goals and medical implications of participating and answering questions about treatment, recruitment, and screening & assessing patient toxicities in clinic with physicians/PAs and through chart reviews, etc)
      CRA - clerical in regards to submitting necessary safety paperwork, chart reviews for tox assessments, scheduling patient appts, ordering necessary protocol labs and scans, data collection and entry, editing the research protocol, audit preparation, etc.
      Research - time spent more specifically pulling, sorting, and analyzing data for publications, mtgs with the stats team, MDs, etc.
    • By samweres
      Hi everyone. I am planning on applying for my second time this upcoming April 2019. This past cycle i decided to apply in June 2018 and didn’t get my apps in until late July. I just applied to two programs that i already qualified for. I think my main error last cycle was applying so late and to so few schools.  I should’ve just waited until this cycle, but it is okay because now i am more prepared and have a bulkier application. If anyone could give me advice on areas to improve on that’d be great! 
      Bachelors in Respiratory Care (2017)
      cGPA: 3.4 (Caspa 2018 calculation)
      sGpa:3.4 (Casap 2018 calculation)
      Since last cycle i have taken or i plan to have completed before this cycle: Bio 2(A),Chem 2(A), Genetics (A), Orgo I (TBD, estimating a B+ to be on the safe side), Stat (TBD, est A). This should bring my GPA up to at least a 3.5 - 3.6ish?
      3,300 hrs PCE as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (full time current career)
      100 hrs volunteer/HCE medical mission trip to Peru.
      25 volunteer hours from various events in college
      500 hrs leadership experience for running student run organization in college(dance team)
      4 years of being on college dance team.
      700 hrs non HCE work as nanny of 3 children including one autistic child
      24 hrs PA shadowing (cardiac surgery, critical care/pulmonary, plastic surgery)
      GRE: scheduled for March 30 (have started studying, hoping for a 300)
      LOR: 1 PA I shadowed, 1 from my Respiratory Care Manager, and one from my Resporatory peogram director/professor(?). I can probably do another PA if that would look better, but I know some schools require a professor  
      Any criticism would be helpful! My goal is to apply before May 15th this cycle to about 7 schools! Thanks in advance everyone!

• By IsaiahRW
      Hey everyone, I am a recent college graduate (December 2018) and I have been interested in PA for about 3 years now and with my recent graduation I’m sure you all can relate to the panick of the uncertainty of my life that I just stepped into 😂.  I’ve mostly been curious about my competitiveness for this upcoming cycle (2019-2020). Here are my stats  
      Overall GPA:3.49/3.50 (still waiting for official grades) I’m not sure that .01 matters much but 3.50 is much more aesthetically pleasing than 3.49  
      sGPA: 3.50
      Last 60 hours: 3.65 
      Side Note: I initially had a 2.8 GPA freshmen year and worked my tail off to get where I am now. After I transferred to a new school beginning Junior year I made 24 A’s to 7 B’s with no C’s or D’s.  I know schools take into account upward trends and if that isn’t one then I don’t know what is!
      HCE/PCE:By time of application will have greater than 1000 hours as a Home Health Aide. Currently applying to become a PT Aid or PCT. Regardless of the job I will have greater than 2500 hours when I hopefully matriculate. 
      LOR: Gastrointestinal Oncology PA, Family Practice PA, Plastic Surgery PA (not sure of official title) 
      Shadowing: 100 hours shadowing Oncology PA, Family Practice NP; Oncology MD
      Taking the GRE in March
      Volunteer Hours: Over 500hours through my fraternity,NAACP, and my own efforts. Mostly registering people to vote, educating minors on sexual health, March of Dimes, and various other projects me and my fraternity brothers could think of. I believe this will be the strongest part of my application. I have a ton of other experiences of volunteer/community service I could speak of but that would take hours to type out 😂  
      My personal statement will more than likely focus on my experience with the many different types of clients I have dealt with as a HHA. Going into someone’s home is a direct view into their life and lifestyle and the differences and experiences between each is so unique it’s jaw dropping. I’ve had some crazy experiences to say the least 😂

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you all!

• By zgotham1
      Hello All, 
      This is my first post in this forum and im really pumped! I'm currently a junior right now and will hopefully be applying to PA schools here in the coming future. 
      I was wondering if I could get some insights from the people who are ahead of me in the process with how applying goes, and if i have a shot at some higher tier schools. 

So far my cumulative GPA is a 3.77, with a science GPA of about 3.65ish. 
      Courses I've taken (Sport and Exercise Science Major/Pre-PA track) are as follows: 
      Molecular and Cellular Bio: B+  Gen Chem I and II w/ Labs: B, B+, A-, A-  Bio II: A+, A Animal Physiology w/lab : A-, A- Trigonometry: A Psych Stats: A  **Currently in ** Human Gross Anatomy w/ Cadaver Based lab (Hardest course at my university taught by two former MDs, one being from Yale): B+ (Hopefully) and A  Organic Chemistry I and II (w/ Ochem 1 Lab): A+, A+, B+ (Do not plan on taking Ochem II lab) Nutrition: A+  Research Methods: A-  Intro Psych, Psych of Human Development and Abnormal Psych: all A+'s  Currently I still plan to take Biochem, Genetics and Microbiology  along with some other sport and exercise science fluff courses. (Biomechanics, Clinical ex. physio, exercise physio, motor learning and development etc.)

I will be planning to do research this coming spring semester with my advisor will hopefully be presenting it at the ACSM National Conference in Harrisburg, PA.  Im apart of my schools Honor's Program as well as the national honors society Phi Eta Sigma. I will also planing to be joining the National Honors Society of Biology: Beta Beta Beta. Also, outside of honors programs im apart of the Delta Kappa Epslion Fraternity. (So if any brothers are reading this hello!) 

However, i believe my biggest flaw in my application will be my HCE. So far i really dont have any HCE hours besides a couple hours of shadowing and what not. Will this hinder me greatly in applying to PA schools? I plan on taking a CNA course in the summer and hopefully will get a job as a PT tech at a local Sport PT place here in town. 
      I have a list of schools that i would like to apply to and then i have some of the other schools i consider top tier (Pitt, Penn State, Yale, PCOMM, Cornell etc.) 
      Also, do you have any tips on how to study for GRE's? Or did you just go in there and wing it? 
      How do my chances look? 

- Thank you, Z. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More