Orthopedic Malpractice

So I am on the fence about accepting this orthopedic position. Basically, from what I understand, ortho is one of the most sued specialties. As a PA, I understand that I will be assisting in surgeries. However, if a suit is brought against my surgeon, would I automatically be responsible as well just because I am his first assist? If anyone has any experience or insight in this, please let me know. 

You are only part of the lawsuit if you are actually named in the lawsuit.  But, the reality is that you would likely be named.  The question is whether you would be dropped or kept on the lawsuit.  Historically, PAs have been sued FAR less frequently than physicians and in general if a lawsuit is filed the PA is initially included, but then later dropped.  The thought has been that the lawyers will go after the "deep pockets" which is generally thought to be the docs.  This has changed slightly, and as PAs are more often having malpractice that is the equivalent to an MD/DO we have the same "deep pockets."  Also, some states have changed the laws about who can be sued if the error was truly the PA's without MD/DO involvement - doesn't really apply though in the case of surgery.

Archived